Magnetometer survey by D Lewis and M Roseveare of Tigergeo Limited detected evidence of known former field boundaries and previous agricultural use. Three areas of probable quarrying activity were noted although quantities of magnetically susceptible debris, probably imported as a result of farming practices, made identification of discrete features problematic.
Strip, map and record excavation by W Weller of SCAU revealed a significantly disturbed area with three ditch features and a small posthole, all of which have been confidently dated to the later post-medieval period. A handful of probable Bronze Age flints was recovered, but no features of this date were observed. The small posthole from the trial trench evaluation (SyAC 101, 221) that produced a small assemblage of prehistoric pottery was located, but no further related features were observed.
Further excavation by the Roman Studies Group of SyAS, directed by E Corke and D Bird to the north-east of the Scheduled Roman villa, recorded considerable quantities of unstratified Mesolithic and Neolithic struck flint from across the site. A possible Bronze Age barrow ditch and two adjacent pits, again of probable Bronze Age date and thought to represent inhumations where no bone has survived, were also revealed. Iron Age features in the form of a curvilinear enclosure ditch and a number of pits were recorded.
Evaluation by D Milbank of TVAS revealed a single linear feature that contained a small quantity of pottery of Late Bronze Age or Early Iron Age date and a small assemblage of struck flints.
Test pit evaluation by R Bradley of Worcestershire Archaeology along the proposed route of a fish pass revealed a series of archaeological deposits forming an alluvial sequence consistent with the location of the site in a waterlogged landscape, adjacent to a managed watercourse. While the dating of the alluvial formation remains uncertain, with the exception of a single prehistoric flint flake, the majority of the diagnostic finds from the test pits related to activity from the mid-18th to early 20th centuries.
Evaluation by T Collie of SCAU. The results show prehistoric and/or medieval or early post-medieval activity across the area. Most of the features were identified in trenches located across the western half of the southern field, and they include a number of substantial ditches of probable medieval or early post-medieval date.
Evaluation by W Weller of SCAU revealed no archaeological features. Some finds were recovered from the subsoil and spoil heaps including a small amount of struck flint and post-medieval/modern ceramics.
Watching brief by W Weller of SCAU showed the site to have been severely disturbed. However, a large ditch of probable Roman date was observed close to the main school building and is possibly a continuation of ditches excavated by S S Frere in 1939 and 1940 (SyAC 48, 45–60). A compacted chalk layer, which may represent a courtyard area between buildings noted on the Ewell Enclosure Map of 1803, was also recorded. A quantity of worked flint of Mesolithic, Neolithic and later Bronze Age date was recovered, indicating activity during these periods within the vicinity.
Evaluation by C Russell of ASE revealed two linear boundary features of probable medieval date and finds that suggest domestic activity of a similar date in the vicinity. The recovery of a small assemblage of prehistoric flints suggests activity from the period on or near the site.
Watching brief and subsequent detailed archaeological excavation by G Santamaria of WA to the north and east of previous phases of work (figs 6 and 7) and an exploratory machine slot excavated through a possible palaeochannel revealed but not investigated during the 2015 season. The possible palaeochannel measured c 40m in width but was relatively shallow, at a maximum of 2m to the underlying sand (fig 8).