Post-medieval

Byfleet Manor, Mill Lane, Byfleet

Building recording and assessment by PAYE Conservation on the Dietterlin-style entry gate pillars prior to their repositioning and restoration. The pillars are assessed as being of typical Jacobean style, although they are recorded in the listing as being 18th century in the Mannerist style. Previous 20th century repairs, using inappropriate materials, were found to have accelerated their deterioration. The gates and pillars are recorded as present in the 1680s (SyAC 50, 102).

North Park Quarry – Brewer Street extension, Bletchingley

Magnetometer survey by D Lewis and M Roseveare of Tigergeo Limited detected evidence of known former field boundaries and previous agricultural use. Three areas of probable quarrying activity were noted although quantities of magnetically susceptible debris, probably imported as a result of farming practices, made identification of discrete features problematic.

Moor Lane Farm Barn, Moor Lane, Woking

Appraisal by M Higgins of SCC to determine the historic development of the building and its possible future use recorded a nine-bay, single-aisled barn constructed in four phases. The first phase is a four-bay threshing barn with an aisle, punctured by a midstrey (gabled) porch, a butt-purlin and rafter roof with inclined queen posts, is most likely of late 17th or early 18th century date. The second phase, of a similar construction, extended the barn by one bay to the east in the late 17th or early 18th century.

Cernes Farm, Starborough Road, Lingfield

Building appraisal by M Higgins of SCC recorded a three-bay house with a hip and gablet to the north and smoke-blackened timbers showing evidence of a pre-1540 open hall house. A clasped side purlin roof and high eaves suggest this may be a late example for the period and of possible Hampshire influence. Halvings in the roof space provide evidence for a smoke louvre. It is considered that it was either constructed as a ‘boot’ hall, with the middle bay undivided from the open hall bay, or a divided middle bay to allow a passageway between doors.

The Old Vicarage, 183 Westhall Road, Warlingham

Appraisal by M Higgins of SCC of a T-shaped brick-built vicarage of two storeys and attics with five window bays to the front elevation. A special feature of the building is the pilasters applied to the front elevation and its left-hand flank. It has unusually long first-floor sash windows. Internally there is a very good collection of shutters to the windows and the original plan layout remains substantially unaltered. Manning and Bray (2, 340) thought it was built as a parsonage house by Harman Attwood who died in 1676.

126–128 Westhall Road, Warlingham

A planned evaluation by J Cook of ASE found the site to have been largely excavated to its planned formation level by the developer without archaeological monitoring. A basic archaeological record was undertaken within the stripped areas to identify possible archaeological finds or features. The truncated natural reddish-brown Clay-with-Flints, was observed in the sections to be overlain by layers of made-ground, garden soil and topsoil. The deposits are likely to be of post-medieval date and relate to the construction of the demolished houses that formerly occupied the site.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Post-medieval