Watching brief by G Potter of CA. No significant archaeological remains were found but the fieldwork produced a small amount of earlier building material and pottery, some of it (floor tile and worked stone) almost certainly associated with the abbey.
Evaluation by O Rouard of TVAS revealed some dispersed undated linear features and a very sparse assemblage of Saxon and medieval pottery.
Evaluation by G Webster of ASE. Two possible features were recorded, although they were likely to be geological in origin. Tiny unstratified fragments of Late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age pottery and medieval tile were the only artefactual material recovered.
Evaluation by J Payne of SCAU did not reveal any features of archaeological interest although a probable Mesolithic, edge-modified blade and a rim sherd fragment of medieval pottery were recorded.
Building appraisal by M Higgins of SCC recorded a three-bay house with a hip and gablet to the north and smoke-blackened timbers showing evidence of a pre-1540 open hall house. A clasped side purlin roof and high eaves suggest this may be a late example for the period and of possible Hampshire influence. Halvings in the roof space provide evidence for a smoke louvre. It is considered that it was either constructed as a ‘boot’ hall, with the middle bay undivided from the open hall bay, or a divided middle bay to allow a passageway between doors.
A fourth season of excavation by L Spencer of SyAS on the probable site of the medieval Bookham Courte revealed a section of cobbled surface under a highly compacted layer of chalk and flint. Its location and the pottery assemblage recovered from the layer suggest that it may be part of the ‘Great Yarde’ referred to in a 1616 description of Bookham Courte. A short continuation of a line of large chalk blocks, first recorded to the west in 2015 (SyAC 100, 282), was seen to extend east beyond the limit of excavation. The structure, if it was such, would have had little structural strength.
Evaluation by T Collie of SCAU. The results show prehistoric and/or medieval or early post-medieval activity across the area. Most of the features were identified in trenches located across the western half of the southern field, and they include a number of substantial ditches of probable medieval or early post-medieval date.
A phase of post-demolition evaluation, test pits and strip, map and record excavations by W Perkins of PCA, following pre-demolition evaluation in 2016 (SyAC 101, 214), showed severe disturbance across much of the site owing to its former industrial uses. However, initial evaluation showed that areas of undisturbed land were present and the later phase of work revealed more of a series of natural palaeochannels, first recorded in 2016, threading across the north-west of the site.
Community test pitting in 2016 and 2017, directed by A Sassin and D Graham of SyAS. A total of fourteen 1m2 test pits excavated at Farnham Park, 5 Castle Street, the Windsor Almshouses, St Andrew’s Rectory on Upper Church Lane, the Old Vicarage and Coxbridge Farm revealed post-medieval and modern disturbance at the majority of the locations. Post-18th century finds were recovered from all locations but probable 12th–13th century contexts were recorded at the three sites within the known medieval town core (St Andrew’s Rectory, the Windsor Almshouses and 5 Castle Street).
Evaluation by A Tynan of AOC recorded no archaeological features although a small piece of late medieval decorated floor tile, probably from Chertsey Abbey, was found in a made-ground deposit.