Post-medieval

Moor Lane Farm Barn, Moor Lane, Woking

Appraisal by M Higgins of SCC to determine the historic development of the building and its possible future use recorded a nine-bay, single-aisled barn constructed in four phases. The first phase is a four-bay threshing barn with an aisle, punctured by a midstrey (gabled) porch, a butt-purlin and rafter roof with inclined queen posts, is most likely of late 17th or early 18th century date. The second phase, of a similar construction, extended the barn by one bay to the east in the late 17th or early 18th century.

Cernes Farm, Starborough Road, Lingfield

Building appraisal by M Higgins of SCC recorded a three-bay house with a hip and gablet to the north and smoke-blackened timbers showing evidence of a pre-1540 open hall house. A clasped side purlin roof and high eaves suggest this may be a late example for the period and of possible Hampshire influence. Halvings in the roof space provide evidence for a smoke louvre. It is considered that it was either constructed as a ‘boot’ hall, with the middle bay undivided from the open hall bay, or a divided middle bay to allow a passageway between doors.

The Old Vicarage, 183 Westhall Road, Warlingham

Appraisal by M Higgins of SCC of a T-shaped brick-built vicarage of two storeys and attics with five window bays to the front elevation. A special feature of the building is the pilasters applied to the front elevation and its left-hand flank. It has unusually long first-floor sash windows. Internally there is a very good collection of shutters to the windows and the original plan layout remains substantially unaltered. Manning and Bray (2, 340) thought it was built as a parsonage house by Harman Attwood who died in 1676.

126–128 Westhall Road, Warlingham

A planned evaluation by J Cook of ASE found the site to have been largely excavated to its planned formation level by the developer without archaeological monitoring. A basic archaeological record was undertaken within the stripped areas to identify possible archaeological finds or features. The truncated natural reddish-brown Clay-with-Flints, was observed in the sections to be overlain by layers of made-ground, garden soil and topsoil. The deposits are likely to be of post-medieval date and relate to the construction of the demolished houses that formerly occupied the site.

42 and 44 High Street, Bletchingley

Appraisal by M Higgins of SCC of an urban building within a tight plot. It was brick fronted with a studwork rear elevation over a brick ground floor. The building is of two storeys with a stone cellar and attics in a staggered butt-purlin, butt-rafter roof. The exterior has a fine Flemish Bond facade with blue headers. Number 42 has cruciform windows in the original openings; 44 has been remodelled but straight joints reveal its original format. Each has an end chimney stack and both date to the early 18th century over a probably earlier cellar.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Post-medieval