Post-medieval

Epsom College, College Road, Epsom

A magnetometer survey by R Davies of ADAS on the site of a new car park revealed two possible linear features of archaeological origin; however, the presence of significant amounts of ferrous material may have masked other archaeological features. A subsequent watching brief by S Dalby and J McNicoll-Norbury of the same unit, revealed the foundations of a 19th century gymnasium known from cartographic evidence but no other finds or features of archaeological interest. The possible linear features noted from the geophysical survey were not identified.

Southwood Manor Farmhouse, Burhill Road, Hersham

Visit by M Higgins of the DBRG/SCC to consider whether further recording would be valuable. Southwood Manor Farm House is a large building now divided into three. Number three is the right-hand portion comprising the majority of a timber-framed wing; a narrow timber-framed range comprising two builds each of three bays, mostly floored. Neither of these appears to be a complete house and it is likely that it has always served a support function to the attached farmhouse. The rear three bays have smoke-blackened timbers and a side purlin roof of a late medieval character.

Land at Courtlands Farm, Park Road, Banstead

Historic building recording by H Samuels and S Chandler of ASE. The ammunition depot at Banstead formed one of three depots built between 1938 and 1939 to store and supply ammunition for the anti-aircraft batteries surrounding and defending London. The Banstead site supplied the South-West London sector from Dulwich to Raynes Park and included the South-East region for a short period in 1940. The site officially closed as an active storage/distribution centre in 1953. The site structures form an example of the early use of reinforced concrete for defensive military purposes.

Station Works, Woodfield, Ashtead

Historic building recording by S Angell of CBAS of a substantial, 20th century double-winged hut prior to its demolition. The structure had probably been relocated from elsewhere and may have been modified at that time to fit the available space between the adjacent railway line and Woodfield Road. Its original construction probably dates to the First World War and based on similar structures, its size and form suggest that it was built for use as a YMCA hut or for administrative operations within a troop training camp.

16 The Park, Great Bookham

A fourth season of excavation by L Spencer of SyAS on the probable site of the medieval Bookham Courte revealed a section of cobbled surface under a highly compacted layer of chalk and flint. Its location and the pottery assemblage recovered from the layer suggest that it may be part of the ‘Great Yarde’ referred to in a 1616 description of Bookham Courte. A short continuation of a line of large chalk blocks, first recorded to the west in 2015 (SyAC 100, 282), was seen to extend east beyond the limit of excavation. The structure, if it was such, would have had little structural strength.

Lindon Farm, Alfold

Evaluation by T Collie of SCAU. The results show prehistoric and/or medieval or early post-medieval activity across the area. Most of the features were identified in trenches located across the western half of the southern field, and they include a number of substantial ditches of probable medieval or early post-medieval date.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Post-medieval