Evaluation by J Hirst of ASE recovered a small assemblage of late post-medieval finds from the topsoil, but no archaeological features were present.
Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC of a 15th century Wealden hall house of four bays, including a single-bay open hall and cross entry, with a ceiling/first floor added in the 16th century. The open hall includes an internal jetty.
Evaluation by W Weller of SCAU revealed a small posthole of indeterminate date and some 20th century disturbance and formation layers associated with the recently closed A3 road. No archaeological finds or features were observed.
Evaluation by Dr C Russell of CBAS revealed a field boundary ditch that is shown from historic mapping to have been in use in 1841.
A detailed gradiometry survey by T Richardson of Stratascan was conducted over c 5.8ha of grassland. With the exception of a single cut feature that might be archaeological in origin or equally related to modern agricultural activity, the survey did not identify any anomalies of probable archaeological character. The majority of the anomalies detected were modern in origin, including ploughing, services and land drains.
Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC of a five-bay hardwood timber-framed and weather-boarded building of one-and-a-half storeys. Almost certainly a three-bay stable with hayloft over and flanking cart sheds with lofts and probably dating from the late 18th century. To the west is a single-storey face wing of unknown but probable 20th century date.
Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC of a timber-framed open-hall house of four bays. Of a standard tripartite plan of a parlour, two-bay hall and service bay, it includes an ‘upper-end’ end-jetty, long passing braces, ground floor braces and evidence of a dais spere – a short screen, normally by a door, to prevent draughts. To this a further bay was added at the ‘lower’, downhill end. The house probably dates from the second quarter of the 1400s. The added bay is probably 17th century in date.
Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC. Court Farm comprises four timber-framed bays with a substantial chimney with back-to-back hearths in the second bay. There are jowls to the four inner posts around the chimney. The roof is a staggered butt purlin, butt rafter design with added face gables. The first build has been dated through dendrochronology to 1613. A further timber-framed bay, of similar construction, and a face gable were added to the west end, probably in the early/mid-17th century.
Evaluation and monitoring by R Kennedy of COT revealed a gully of probable post-medieval date but no further finds or features of archaeological interest.
Appraisal by M Higgins of SCC of a gabled, two-bay, open-hall house, one of which was open. Situated on a tight urban plot, it was constructed before 1540 with an overshot cross entry and divided service.