90–106 High Street, Staines-upon-Thames

Historic building recording by K Bower, P Cavanaugh and C Matthews of PCA revealed that nos 90-102 High Street were early 19th century in appearance and are shown on the 1841 tithe map. All had a ground, first and attic storey. Nos 104 and 106 are shown on the 1896 OS map and were probably constructed between 1864 and 1896, although no 106 was early 20th century in appearance. Both properties had a ground and first floor only.

St John the Evangelist Church, Redhill

Excavation by L Capon of AOC recorded 266 graveshafts with a total of 282 burials recovered and retained for osteological assessment. The burials can be dated to 1843--1914 when the graveyard was in use. Early cemetery practice appears to show careful planning and management with graves aligned west--east in regular north--south rows. Later burials show dense overcrowding with burials tightly packed into any available space, creating a complex sequence of intercutting graveshafts.

Broadwood’s Tower, Box Hill, Mickleham

Excavation by P Harp and S Hill of Plateau of the interior of the tower ahead of National Trust work to the Grade II Listed folly. A fill, to a depth of c 0.9m above external ground level, was revealed. The lower 0.3m of the fill produced quantities of unknapped flint, a few fragments of Horsham stone and two unfrogged, yellow bricks. The flints and stone probably originate from the structure, although no mortar was observed adhering to them.

42 Upper Fairfield Road, Leatherhead

Photographic survey by P Barker-Mills of Mole Valley District Council recorded external architectural details of the late Victorian property that latterly housed the Leatherhead District Social Club. A post-medieval well was revealed within the footprint of the demolished building, constructed from unfrogged bricks and lime mortar. No other finds or features of archaeological interest were revealed.

The Old Police Station, Egham

Historic building recording by C Butler of CBAS confirmed that some original 1930s features and fittings have been retained, such as the staircases, some doors and picture rails and skirting boards, although the building has been modernised and redecorated consistent with its use as a Police Station and offices.

Landens Farm, Meath Green Lane, Horley

Historic building recording by L Wilson of AS revealed that the main farmhouse originated as a probable late 17th century, timber-framed building laid out on a double-pile plan. A few internal fixtures such as the staircase may date from this period or slightly later. An attached west wing was used as a kitchen and may have been modified from a pre-existing building, though evidence for its supposed 16th century date is speculative. A nearby worker’s cottage is probably of similar or earlier date, timber-framed and of humble origins.


Subscribe to RSS - Post-medieval