Watching brief of foundation trenches by J Frowde of PHFA revealed no features of archaeological significance, possibly due to the limited depth and extent of the groundworks, although twelve 19th century glass bottles were recovered during excavations following the demolition of an extension to the original school chapel.
A magnetometry survey by K Armstrong of Tigergeo confirmed the location of the known glass-working site together with possible traces of associated woodland exploitation in the north-west of the site. Centrally, various linear anomalies may relate to further industrial use of the woodland, while known former field boundaries and trackways were located to the south-east. In the same area, an undated complex of possible linear enclosures and circular anomalies was discovered that may relate to settlement or farming activity.
Evaluation by T Barton of CFA Archaeology revealed a single, very shallow linear feature containing 18th or 19th century pottery and brick.
Watching brief by M Cook at the site of the former Compasses Bridge across the Wey and Arun Canal. No remains of the former bridge were identified although the remains of the canal channel were located and recorded and the sequence of construction of the original cutting, channel and bridge were established.
A fluxgate gradiometry survey by D Hale of Archaeological Services Durham University of the route of a temporary haul road across the Grade II Listed parkland, revealed two tracks of 20th century origin but no anomalies of possible archaeological origin.
Historic building recording by L Brooks of Brooks Building Consultants of a purpose-built National School and attached Headmaster’s house, prior to their demolition, revealed a construction date of 1872, as recorded on a date stone in the front elevation. Small extensions added to the front of the school in 1912 were probably constructed to provide separate entrances for girls and boys. Original timber windows and staircases, cast-iron fireplaces, rainwater goods and airbricks, and decorative and gauged brickwork were recorded.
Evaluation by R Woolley of Formation Archaeology revealed a large subterranean water cistern of late post-medieval date but no finds or features of archaeological interest.
Evaluation by J Aaronson of CA within the Scheduled Monument of Chertsey Abbey revealed a considerable amount of residual medieval material, including pottery, tile and brick that undoubtedly derives from Chertsey Abbey, but is believed to be material previously sifted out during excavations carried out in 1954. Gravel layers were also revealed that may have formed part of an earlier path skirting the south and western sides of the mid-19th century Abbey Lodge.
Evaluation by O Good of CA revealed evidence of low level, late post-medieval to early modern activity across the eastern part of the site in the form of a ditch, a large pit, two postholes and a short section of wall foundation. The features identified correlate well with the known development of the site in the mid–late 19th century by the Lion Brewery and its eventual demolition and redevelopment in the mid-20th century.