A major ambition for our new Early Modern group, led by Dr Catherine Ferguson, is to organise a palaeography course to increase the number of members and friends who are confident in reading and transcribing early modern documents in the pursuit of their research interests.
Building survey identified several phases starting in c1452
Historic building recording by K Butler of CBAS of the 17th century Grade II-listed barn.
Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC of an ‘architecturally polite’ house with rendered facades, end-elevation bow bay windows and a slate roof behind a parapet. The core may be a late 17th century house with a large gable fireplace. In 1785 symmetrical end wings were added, the outshot raised to two storeys, the front elevation unified and the interior remodelled.
Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC of a five-bay, timber-framed, central chimney house of two storeys with early attics. Its side purlin roof has upright queen struts and straight wind braces and the back-to-back chimney stack uses earth mortar. The house is considered to date to the second quarter of the 17th century.
Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC. The earliest phase is a probably late 16th century, three bay cross-wing to a now lost hall range. It is of two storeys, close studded with gables front and back and originally unheated. Probably in the mid-17th century a three-bay main range and a three-bay cross-wing was added together with three chimney stacks to serve both sections.
Historic building recording by K Butler of CBAS on one of two 17th/18th century Grade II-listed barns prior to alteration to convert it to residential use.
Landscape study by H Beamish of OAN, undertaken in 2009, and reported in 2010. Desk and topographical survey identified a wide range of features, many of which could be linked to the early use of the area as farmland prior to the creation of the park in the 19th century. These included ponds, quarries, boundaries and enclosures, a number of which were chosen for more detailed measured survey. Resistivity and magnetometry survey by M and A Roseveare of ArchaeoPhysica was also undertaken in an attempt to locate the remains of a Tudor property known from historic records.
Evaluation by A Margetts of ASE revealed two gulleys and a pit or ditch terminus of prehistoric date that may be part of an enclosure or field-system possibly related to prehistoric settlement known from the wider area. A probable post-medieval linear feature, a probable ditch of 16th to 18th century date, and made ground deposits in many of the trenches, may represent evidence of landscaping during the laying out the grounds surrounding the former school building. Further work suggested.
A programme of historic building recording, evaluation, and a watching brief during the reduction of floor levels within the farmhouse, at Lowerhouse Farm by L Capon of AOC. The farmhouse is dated by a render plaque to 1525, but shows many phases of repair and extension. The earliest parts of the farmhouse are fully timber-framed, and reveal the building to have started as a Hall House, the hall lying north of a two-storey, four room block.