Medieval

1066-1600

Waitrose, South Street, Dorking

Evaluation by T Munnery of SCAU. Medieval features comprising pits, postholes, a well and a possible buried soil were revealed. Two of the features and the buried soil may be as early as the late 12th or early 13th century. A relatively large number of struck flints, mostly of Mesolithic but also Neolithic date were recovered, mostly from one location in a limited-sized test pit. Sherds of Roman and Saxon pottery recovered are likely to be residual and unlikely to indicate that significant evidence from these periods is present on the site.

Various locations, Great Bookham and Little Bookham

Test pitting by C Hayward of SyAS. Nineteen test pits were excavated in a central band of the parish with two located in Little Bookham. Evidence of early medieval activity was recorded in Church Street with finds of medieval pottery clustered around the church. Sherds of Roman pottery were found in two areas to the east and north-east of the church and Bronze Age pottery and struck flint were recorded from a Little Bookham pit.

Howard of Effingham School, Browns Lane, Effingham

Evaluation by S Stevens of ASE revealed a Roman gully and two further undated gullies at the northern end of the site, possibly part of a field boundary or enclosure. The presence of a humic garden soil in the north-western part of the site correlates with the area of a small enclosure depicted on late 19th and 20th century maps and suggests that this may have been used for domestic cultivation. A small assemblage of artefacts including prehistoric flintwork, medieval and post-medieval pottery and ceramic building material was recovered from the overburden.

St Martha’s Hill, Chilworth

Members of SyAS, led by R Hooker, undertook a fieldwalking exercise across a recently ploughed field on the southern slopes of St Martha’s Hill belonging to Chilworth Manor. Some 300 flint artefacts were recovered of which approximately 10% were tool forms, mostly blades, cores and scrapers. Two probable Romano-British sherds were recovered together with some late medieval and post-medieval fragments of ceramic building materials, but no significant clusters for any period were recorded.

Land south of Ash Lodge Drive, Ash and Tongham

Evaluation by D Platt of TVAS revealed archaeological deposits mainly located on the eastern side of the site. With the exception of a single pit that contained evidence of ironworking and pottery of Iron Age date, the datable features were from the medieval and post-medieval periods. A large percentage of the pottery recovered was Coarse Border ware, including waster sherds, which suggested manufacturing was taking place in the vicinity, although no kiln was found.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Medieval