Medieval

1066-1600

23 Castle Street, Farnham

Watching brief by D and A Graham of SyAS. Evidence was noted that suggested the existing southern brick boundary wall of the site was built over, and followed the alignment of, a medieval ditch that probably marked the line of the original burgage plot, although evidence for a 15th-16th century structure across the feature suggested that the boundary was not a continuous survival, but had been reinstated at a later date.

Doghurst House, Grants Lane, Limpsfield

Monitoring by Z Pozorski of AS undertaken during floor level reduction within a timber-framed structure believed to be largely of 15th and 16th century date, with 19th and 20th century alterations, but the core of which is thought to be medieval. The monitoring revealed earlier floor layers, and the remains of a hearth constructed of peg tiles dated to the 15th and 17th centuries. Historic building recording undertaken by M Higgins of SCC during refurbishment and extension revealed the two earliest phases of its development to be c1425 and c1475.

North Park Farm Quarry, Bletchingley

Three further phases of excavation by P Jones and R Lambert of SCAU adjacent to areas previously investigated. The first phase undertaken in the summer of 2011 was to the immediate west of the area investigated in 2009. The range and character of the archaeological features present were closely similar to those identified in 2009. The features included three Mesolithic pits (which were 100% sampled and sieved for flintwork), an early medieval pit oddly sited out on the Gault clay, and a continuation of the late medieval/ early post-medieval roadway identified during the work in 2005.

St Peter and St Paul's church, Chaldon

Watching brief by T Munnery of SCAU following evaluation in 2008 that had exposed the foundations of the church and three burials in the area of a proposed vestry. Parts of 60 inhumations and two cremations, all of Christian origin, and mostly thought to date from the previous 150 years were revealed, excavated and removed for later reburial elsewhere within the grounds of the church. Two pieces of pottery, dated to the medieval and Roman periods, were recovered from the subsoil and a grave fill respectively.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Medieval