Watching brief by D Bray and S Porter of TVAS revealed two ditches, two postholes and a quarried area. The pits were dated to the medieval period by sparse artefactual evidence while one of the postholes contained Iron Age pottery.
Evaluation by D Platt of TVAS revealed archaeological deposits mainly located on the eastern side of the site. With the exception of a single pit that contained evidence of ironworking and pottery of Iron Age date, the datable features were from the medieval and post-medieval periods. A large percentage of the pottery recovered was Coarse Border ware, including waster sherds, which suggested manufacturing was taking place in the vicinity, although no kiln was found.
Geophysical survey and test pitting by C Hayward produced significant quantities of pottery with a range of dates from the later 12th century to the early 18th century. A near-absence of late 18th century and later sherds relates to the probable clearance of the settlement of Middle Green in the early 18th century. (Bulletin 450)
Excavation by M Saywood of SCAU within the bounds of the former Oatlands Palace. The tops of two walls were revealed; the first belonged to the counterscarp wall of the moat of the late 15th century manor, and the second a pier of the north bridge wing added by Henry VIII in 1537–8. A pit containing demolition rubble, undoubtedly originating from the destroyed Palace, was also revealed.
Second season of a community excavation by SyAS and SCAU, under the direction of R Poulton, of the Scheduled moated site. Two of the principal foci of the excavations were in areas where the 2009 excavations had revealed kitchen refuse dumping and 16th century brick walls. Within the former of these areas, substantial amounts of animal bone and pottery dated to the late 13th or early 14th century were sealed and preserved beneath the floors of a new range of stone buildings, erected around 1300, which seem likely to have been part of the privy lodgings.
Evaluation trenches dug by SyAS under the direction of R Savage proved the existence of substantial brick clamps as indicated by magnetometry survey in 2009; the clamps remain undated but are probably medieval. Test pits confirmed a scattered presence of Roman tiles to the east of St Peter’s church, but only one sherd of domestic Roman pottery was found (and that well-rolled and close to the surface of the field). A test pit at an adjoining property produced large stratified sherds of early 12th century pottery, co-incident with the building or rebuilding of St Peter’s church c AD 1100–20.
Evaluation by J McNicoll-Norbury of TVAS. A single pit containing medieval pottery and a modern wall were revealed.
Watching brief by D Whittaker of ASE (SU 967 384–950 383 & SU 949 381). The investigations were largely negative, although some limited evidence for a late medieval brick field and kiln was revealed in the vicinity of Hambledon village Cricket Green, and a post-medieval trackway boundary ditch identified running parallel to Combe Lane.
Watching brief by J McNicoll-Norbury of TVAS. No archaeological features were identified, although a small quantity of medieval pottery was retrieved from the area of the walled garden.
Evaluation by N Garland of ASE. A number of features ranging from the Middle Iron Age to post-medieval were revealed. The majority were either ditches suggestive of agricultural boundaries and/or drainage features and a few pits, although a palaeochannel was identified during a geoarchaeological investigation, and a single cremation burial was also revealed. Subsequent excavation by G Priestly-Bell of ASE revealed three phases of occupation representing probable small-scale settlement activity dating from the Early Iron Age to the Romano-British period.