Photographic recording of the interior of the buried walls and foundations of the central tower, and the well shaft within the shell keep, by A Norris and D Graham of SyAS. The structure of the tower no longer survives above ground, with the motte having apparently been raised around the lower storeys of the tower, preserving them for examination. The tower was re-used as a well shaft in the later periods, which has been covered with an unprepossessing concrete slab for some years.
Magnetometry survey of the Scheduled medieval moated site by D Calow of SyAS as part of the Merstham Community Archaeology Project. Although features were difficult to discern because of interference from recently deposited metallic objects, a possible linear anomaly could represent one side of the former moat.
Historic building recording by S Underdown of OAS. The oldest part of the property contained evidence for the remains of two bays of a medieval open hall house of probable late 14th to early 15th century date. A two-bay extension was dendrochronologically dated to 1580–97, with further extensions noted, dating to around 1700 and then continuing through the 18th–20th centuries. The property had been unoccupied for some time, and considerable damage to the historic fabric of the structure was noted, through a combination of vandalism, arson and neglect.
Evaluation by J Lewis of TVAS. Two small undated gullies and a single sherd of unabraded 12th–13th century pottery were revealed.
A test pit dug by L Smith of SyAS in the rear garden of the property revealed a packed flint floor, possibly a courtyard from the former Bookham Court. Various finds were recovered immediately above and between the flints. These included pottery sherds, butchered animal bones, teeth, iron nails, glass and a large quantity of broken clay tiles and building material. The pottery dated from the 13th to the 16th centuries. (Bulletin 426)
Watching brief by W Weller of SCAU. The reconstruction of a front boundary wall afforded the opportunity to examine the area west of the former Great Hall for evidence of a porch. A substantial foundation characteristic of 12th–13th century construction was revealed, but it could not be determined whether it related to a porch or another form of structure.
Completion of watching brief begun in 2010 by N Randall of SCAU which revealed a series of broad ditches that may represent land boundaries predating the construction of Pendell Court on the site in c1624, and finds of Mesolithic, Neolithic or Bronze Age, Iron Age, Roman, medieval and post-medieval date.
Limited evaluation by R Humphrey of PCA in order to inform decisions about use and management of the site revealed linear features likely to be the remnants of post-medieval ploughing, and recovered residual burnt and worked prehistoric flints and medieval and post-medieval ceramic building material and pottery.
Soil stripping, mapping and sampling by Z Pozorski of AS adjoining an area of excavation undertaken by PCA in 2002 (SyAC 91, 271) which had revealed evidence of prehistoric, medieval and post-medieval activity. A large, late medieval (15th century) pit, two undated pits, and two or possibly three late 18th/19th century soakways were revealed. The investigation did not reveal continuation of linear features discovered in 2002, possibly because of truncation caused by a recently demolished building.
Evaluation by N Randall of SCAU on the site of a proposed extension to the existing graveyard revealed two postholes, one of prehistoric origin, and three pits, two of Neolithic or earlier date. The dateable posthole contained two sherds of pottery, one of Bronze Age or earlier date, and the other of Iron Age date. Three small fragments of burnt clay, two of which bear the imprint of walling wattles, were also recovered and may suggest the presence of a former structure.