20th century

1901-2000

Woking Park and former Westfield Tip, Woking

Two phases of evaluation by S Mounce of WA in advance of flood protection, landscaping, tip remediation and redevelopment alongside the Hoe Stream. The first phase revealed a significant depth of alluvial deposits, late 19th and early 20th artefacts likely to have been washed up and deposited by the Hoe in a trench closest to the modern course of the stream, but no deposits of archaeological interest. The second phase revealed alluvial layers within all of the trenches, confirming that the site historically lay within the flood plain.

Oakwood House, Charleshill

Historic building recording and watching brief by K Bower of PCA during the exposure, subsequent partial demolition, and conversion of a Second World War DFW3/28 anti-tank gun emplacement/pillbox. Elements of the original construction of the structure and later re-use as a domestic building were recorded.

The Old Coach House, Bletchingley Castle, Bletchingley

Report on a watching brief carried out by G Rapson of MOLA in 2009 during the excavation of five small pits to allow an electricity cable to be laid underground within the Scheduled Monument. One of the pits contained a charcoal-rich layer within colluvial deposits, a similar undated charcoal-rich layer was revealed in another, and evidence of extensive late 19th–20th century remodelling of the area was revealed within the remaining three.

Granary Cottage, Kings Cross Lane, Nutfield

Evaluation of 18th century (with a later 18th century extension and 20th century domestic additions) granary by M Higgins of SCC as part of procedure for listed building consent. The timber-frame granary was two storey, above an originally open-sided cartshed, initially three-bay and later extended to four bays. The original location of the central first floor doorway was identified from the wall and floor framing.

Kilmore House and Lodge, Camberley

Historic building survey by T Davies of WEED (Waterman Energy, Environment and Design Ltd). Both buildings were constructed in the period 1912–14 in the Arts and Crafts style. A number of features typical of the period, including an asymmetrical plan, extensive use of local materials and an idiosyncratic design that attempted to mimic the landscape as well as demonstrate piecemeal development, were noted. Many original internal features also survived and were recorded.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - 20th century