Evaluation by G Priestley-Bell of ASE identified walls and hardstandings relating to the late 18th century and early 19th century development of the site by the Philanthropic Society’s Farm School. A large, probably late 19th to early 20th century rubbish pit was recorded on the northern edge of the site. Made-ground and evidence of significant truncation relating to the 20th century redevelopment and landscaping of the site were widespread.
Watching brief by O Batchelor of AOC on five test pits revealed modern truncation associated with the construction of the former house.
Excavation by R Savage of SyAS on an area of collapsed ground revealed only modern made-ground, with indications of repeated episodes of infilling. A test pit excavated to the north revealed recent levelling. Owing to the depth of deposits, the natural sand/gravel was not reached in either excavation.
Evaluation by A Mundin of TVAS revealed that the natural gravel geology was overlain by alluvial clay deposits, which in turn were sealed by dumped rubble deposits in the late 19th century. A number of modern walls were present, but no evidence of earlier archaeological remains was recorded.
Historic building recording by K Harrow and watching brief by S Price of ASE. The building is an example of a Board School constructed in the latter part of the 19th century, with a contemporary teacher’s house. The school was enlarged c 1900 with the addition of a large north-west range, and modifications and extensions to the original building. A number of ancillary buildings were constructed to the west between c 1900 and 1935.
Evaluation by N Randall of SCAU recorded an undated pit, possibly an earth oven, and two unstratified flint cores of Mesolithic or Neolithic date. Across the centre of the site were large areas of ground disturbance that probably related to the 20th century use of the site as military barracks, and the impact of a railway line that traversed the site during the inter-war period.
Evaluation by N Taylor of OA revealed features associated with the early 20th century development of the site, but no finds or features of archaeological interest.
Evaluation by J Winfer of AOC revealed features of modern date. No significant earlier archaeological remains were encountered.
Historic building recording by L Prosser for SCAU. The two principal buildings were of early 20th century date, later augmented by structures in the 1950s–70s that created a continuous industrial complex with smaller associated buildings. Several of these are probably also of early 20th century date. The earliest buildings were fairly technologically advanced, employing lightweight steel-framed construction with pink Fletton brick infill. Subsequent modification and development was traceable through the 20th century, with later augmentation and remodelling of the older buildings.
Watching brief by Z Pozorski for AS revealed modern truncation and a modern pit.