Remains of buffer depot 124, one of a series built between November 1941 and December 1942 and used for storage of supplies in the Second World War and subsequent ‘cold war’ located by P Sowan. (SIHG 74)
Remains of buffer depot 339, one of a series built between November 1941 and December 1942 and used for storage of supplies in the Second World War and subsequent ‘cold war’, located by P Sowan. (SIHG 74)
Evaluation of the disused school site by Tony Champion of SCAU, for SCC’s Resources Dept, found only remains associated with a late 19th/20th century building.
Report by C Shepheard of an ‘Atlantic Wall’ built for military training in World War II. The concrete wall measures 3m in height, by 3.5m width, with a total length of 100m, in the centre of which is a 6m wide gap, to be closed by steel gates. The wall shows the results of two explosions, which left gaps of about 3.5m in width. At one end of the wall were originally several types of tank trap. (285, SIHG 79)
Evaluation of the site for the new student village for the West Surrey College of Art and Design was carried out by D Graham and volunteers from the Farnham & District Museum Society. One pit of unknown date was recorded as was chalk and clunch masonry possibly dumped from works at the castle. A silver denarius and a piece of Roman roof tile were recovered and presumed to derive from upslope (later survey work confirmed a concentration of such tile at SU 834 472). A metal detector survey of the site recovered a 17th century trader’s token (John Smallpeece of Guildford).
Evaluation by G Hayman of SCAU, on behalf of Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering Ltd, in advance of works associated with the M25 widening scheme. Trial trenching revealed a gully and two ditches, probably former field boundaries, all of which contained modern material.
A watching brief was kept by R Poulton of SCAU, for Crest Homes, on redevelopment of the hospital site. This revealed that the scale of the development during the later 19th and, more especially, the 20th centuries had destroyed any earlier deposits.
Evaluation by G Hayman of SCAU, on behalf of Chambers, in response to proposals to extend the mineral extraction area. Occasional finds of late 19th or 20th century pottery, glass and building material were recovered.
Evaluation by G Hayman of SCAU for Dwellcourt Ltd. as part of an application for the construction of a golf course. A pit containing Iron Age material was recorded in the 1940s, and presumed to relate to a contemporary settlement, but no evidence for this was located during the evaluation. A few pieces of burnt flint were recovered, but the only feature found was a modern pit.
Evaluation by R Poulton of SCAU, on behalf of the Strathmoor Group, of a site proposed for residential development. Three trial trenches were excavated and only one feature, which contained 19th/20th century material, was revealed. This shallow ditch is likely to represent a late field boundary, rather than the edge of the town plots. (321)