Evaluation by N Randall of SCAU recorded an undated pit, possibly an earth oven, and two unstratified flint cores of Mesolithic or Neolithic date. Across the centre of the site were large areas of ground disturbance that probably related to the 20th century use of the site as military barracks, and the impact of a railway line that traversed the site during the inter-war period.
Evaluation by N Taylor of OA revealed features associated with the early 20th century development of the site, but no finds or features of archaeological interest.
Evaluation by J Winfer of AOC revealed features of modern date. No significant earlier archaeological remains were encountered.
Historic building recording by L Prosser for SCAU. The two principal buildings were of early 20th century date, later augmented by structures in the 1950s–70s that created a continuous industrial complex with smaller associated buildings. Several of these are probably also of early 20th century date. The earliest buildings were fairly technologically advanced, employing lightweight steel-framed construction with pink Fletton brick infill. Subsequent modification and development was traceable through the 20th century, with later augmentation and remodelling of the older buildings.
Watching brief by Z Pozorski for AS revealed modern truncation and a modern pit.
Evaluation by L Capon and R Ives of AOC revealed burials that had no surviving above-ground grave memorials. The burials could not be dated although the main phase of cemetery use was from 1843 to 1896 with some continued use of family graves up to 1968.
Evaluation by D Hopkinson of ASE revealed a number of features of modern origin, and two undated features, the nature of which suggests they represent tree-throw hollows or evidence of animal burrowing.
Photographic survey by Boast Associates prior to demolition of the Police Station buildings.
Programme of photographic historic building recording by H Green of ASE. The hotel is situated on land that was occupied by a building from 1842. The present building retains elements of this structure, which has been substantially altered. The extensive alterations include the addition of a mock Tudor frontage to the east between 1914 and 1934 and the construction of a large function suite with guest rooms above to the west in the later 20th century. The two outbuildings built between 1842 and 1869 have been converted for domestic use.
Watching brief and building recording by Dr M Shapland of ASE. Several archaeological features were recorded relating to the 19th and early 20th century development of the adjacent 16th century house.