Photographic survey by Boast Associates prior to demolition of the Police Station buildings.
Programme of photographic historic building recording by H Green of ASE. The hotel is situated on land that was occupied by a building from 1842. The present building retains elements of this structure, which has been substantially altered. The extensive alterations include the addition of a mock Tudor frontage to the east between 1914 and 1934 and the construction of a large function suite with guest rooms above to the west in the later 20th century. The two outbuildings built between 1842 and 1869 have been converted for domestic use.
Watching brief and building recording by Dr M Shapland of ASE. Several archaeological features were recorded relating to the 19th and early 20th century development of the adjacent 16th century house.
Evaluation and watching brief by A Taylor for TVAS revealed evidence of modern activity in the form of brick walls and associated cellars contemporary with the early 20th century construction of the demolished building. No find or features of archaeological significance were revealed.
Evaluation by A Chapman of AAL (Allen Archaeology Ltd) revealed a series of walls and pits probably related to former late 19th to later 20th century terraced housing on the site. No significant archaeological features or finds were recorded.
Historic building survey by Dr E Oakley for AAL (Allen Archaeology Ltd) revealed an L-shaped block of one- and two-storey brick buildings, with four broad phases of development identified. The earliest component represented buildings established c 1868 as part of the Filmer and Mason Ironworks. By 1881 the site was known as Church Acre ironworks and a number of small extensions were added in the period 1881–96. The ironworks ceased operation in the 1920s and the site was later occupied by the army.
Evaluation by J Murphy of HA (Headland Archaeology) recorded only a series of deposits associated with modern development.
Two-phase evaluation by D Britchfield and R Kennedy of WA identified severe truncation across the site. The only feature recorded was a single modern pit.
Evaluation by N Randall of SCAU revealed evidence of modern truncation but no finds or features of archaeological significance.
Evaluation by W Weller of SCAU revealed a narrow gully of modern date and confirmed the location of a pond shown on 19th century maps.