Evaluation and a subsequent watching brief were carried out by R Poulton of SCAU, for P&O Developments, on part of the redevelopment of this hospital site. Evidence was revealed for formal gardens and structures presumed to relate to the precursor of the present, mid 18th century, Botleys Mansion, and also for 17th to 18th century brick making. (314)
A watching brief by J English of SyAS on construction of an extension revealed no features of archaeological interest; no pottery earlier than the late 17th century was recovered.
A building survey was carried out by G Pattison and N Shaikhley of SCAU for SCC’s Resources Dept, after the removal of external rendering revealed a number of different phases; two elevations were recorded. The present Priory building lies on the site of Reigate Priory, founded in 1235 and dissolved in 1535, but the earliest structural work recorded was late 17th century. (314)
A watching brief was maintained by R Poulton of SCAU, for Randell Construction, on works to this building. A mixed layer of probably 17th-18th century date overlying natural sand was revealed during groundworks. (314)
Building recording by Beryl Higgins & Vivienne Ettlinger of one of the former abattoir buildings, to be retained and refurbished, identified it as 17th or 18th century in origin. A watching brief was undertaken by N Shaikhley of SCAU, for Ian Vincent Property, during construction of housing on the remainder of the site. A ceramic vessel, identified as a ‘tyg’ of 17th century date, was found in spoil. No features of archaeological interest were revealed; the site was seen to have been very disturbed. (314, 321)
A watching brief was maintained by R Poulton of SCAU, on behalf of Holmshaw Property Company Ltd, during the course of clearance and construction on the site. Only two relatively undisturbed areas were exposed. No features were revealed; finds from the site included 17th century and later brick, pottery and a clay pipe, but nothing obviously earlier. (321)
A watching brief by the GMVEU recorded evidence for chalk walling in the cellar. Trial excavation revealed an earlier brick floor in the cellar; finds included red ware of 14th-15th century date, White and Red Border wares of 17th and 18th century date and tin-glazes ware of 18th century date. (300)
A watching brief by the GMVEU on the redevelopment of the school site revealed a considerable quantity of mainly early 17th century Border Ware, including wasters and kiln furniture. Small quantities of medieval whiteware and late 17th/18th century Red Border Ware were also recovered. A kiln site clearly lies in the vicinity. (307)
Examination of a series of tunnels below this road was carried out by members of Subterranea Britannica, at the request of SCC’s County Roads Group. The tunnels are almost certainly service tunnels associated with the now demolished Ewell House and probably date to the late 17th or early 18th centuries. Some of the tunnels are lined with brick, others are just left as the sandstone they have been cut through. Later modification included ornamentation of some of the tunnels and use as a WWII air-raid shelter.
A landscape survey, including some limited trial trenching, was carried out by D Graham for Waverley Borough Council, as part of a programme designed to assisst with the management of the park. The initial ground survey recorded the remains of open field systems in the form of ridge and furrow strips of probable medieval date, including one apparently overlain by the park’s boundary, established in 1376-77. Evidence for industrial activity was seen in the form of small clay diggings, some of which were close to the site of a previously discovered medieval tile kiln.