A possibly 17th century well, with brick domed cover, recorded by Nancy Hawkins for Mayford History Society.
Trial excavation by C H Cole for the Surrey Heath Group of SyAS produced evidence of occupation from the 13th/14th centuries to the present. Finds included a nearly complete late 16th century shoe. (184) In further excavation the earliest levels seen were a medieval trampled layer cut by a boundary and/or drainage ditch and by a 16th century building of two phases which was demolished in the mid-17th century.
Excavation by Julia Arthur for Guildford Museum revealed only five postholes, one associated with 17th century pottery.
Sample excavations by G H Cole for the Surrey Heath Group of SyAS produced evidence for a possible late medieval house platform with a robbed sandstone wall footing. The platform was cut by early 17th century and later pits, gullies and post holes. A backfiiled waterlogged area was interpreted, with the aid of documentary evidence, as possibly being 16th century fish ponds. (193)
Excavation and site watching by N Shepherd and P M G Tones for SCC, Crowngap and Royal Insurance in advance of redevelopment. The area proved to have been much disturbed in the post-medieval period, but it was possible to trace RB flood deposits in a former channel at the rear of the site, and some fragments of early RB clay and timber buildings in the centre. Finds from later disturbance indicated the former presence nearby of substantial RB buildings. Traces of a medieval timber structure were also found and the much damaged remains of a medieval stone building on the street frontage.
Observation of redevelopment work by D W Williams showed that the petrol station had destroyed all archaeological features except the late medieval undercroft. Part of the east-west section along Slipshoe Street could be recorded, revealing at least three former surfaces of the road. The earliest contained small sherds of 16th/17th century pottery and leather including the end of a knife sheath and part of a shoe. (207)
Excavation by D W Williams in the partly demolished 17th century barn adjacent to the parish church. In the northern half of the excavation was a deep feature over 5m wide, probably a former watercourse, with a fill of several layers: firstly 1m of silt with a few struck flakes, then the articulated but headless remains of an ox, then silt with 11th/12th century pottery and bone, then layers of debris including a 13th century roof tile dump. All were cut by a pit or ditch roughly revetted with flint, stone and tile and having roof tile in its fill.
Excavation by Judie English and K D Graham for WAAC in advance of the construction of the relief road indicated that the land in this area was under cultivation prior to the 19th century. Finds included medieval and later sherds and a trade token issued by Thomas Lusher of Chiddingfold in 1668. (224)
Excavation and observation by K D Graham for FDMS in advance of redevelopment. A few RB and medieval sherds were found in trial trenching, and several pits and ditches of late to post-medieval date were observed in development. One large ditch running north-west–south-east may be part of hastily-erected Civil War defences. It had apparently been rapidly backfilled, and contained pottery consistent with a mid-17th century date. (227)
Further work on site was carried out by G H Cole for Surrey Heath Group of SyAS. A further length of a ditch seen in 1983 was Located; it contained several sherds of grass or chaff-tempered pottery. Also found was evidence for a well-preserved timber post and plank building of AD 1250 to 1350 replaced by a late 14th century post-built structure (partially seen in 1984/85). A complete wooden barrel, set in puddled clay, was thought to underlie the levels dated 1250-1350, and beneath it was found a complete wooden bowl. More information was gained about the 17th century tavern (?