Excavation by A Margetts of ASE, following on from contiguous work in 2012, revealed continuing evidence of Middle/Late Iron Age and Late Iron Age/Romano-British activity. Further medieval and post-medieval evidence was recorded, mainly comprising field systems. Results from the site show that prehistoric, Romano-British and medieval settlement in the area developed and extended in close proximity to arterial waterways such as the Burstow stream where fertile land, with both riverine and forest habitat resources, clearly presented an attractive proposition to ancient settlers.
Reigate & Banstead
Evaluation by A Forshaw for ASE revealed a shallow gully and an infilled probable boundary ditch of post-medieval date.
Evaluation by C Ellis for COT recovered a Mesolithic/Early Neolithic blade from a tree-throw hole and a residual Neolithic/Bronze Age core. A probable boundary ditch and posthole, which were undated but characteristically post-medieval, were also revealed.
Evaluation by G Potter of CA produced a few pieces of medieval pottery, reflecting general medieval activity, but no features of archaeological interest.
Evaluation and subsequent excavation by W Weller of SCAU produced residual Mesolithic and Neolithic flintwork and a potential Bronze Age ditch terminal. An intensive period of activity began in the Middle Iron Age and extended into the early 2nd century AD, with a series of boundary or enclosure ditches and pits dominating the excavated area. The ditches may have formed a rectangular enclosure or field boundaries associated with a central domestic enclosure of a previously, partially recorded farmstead.
Evaluation by L Capon and R Ives of AOC revealed burials that had no surviving above-ground grave memorials. The burials could not be dated although the main phase of cemetery use was from 1843 to 1896 with some continued use of family graves up to 1968.
Evaluation by G Dawkes of ASE revealed no evidence of finds or features of archaeological interest.
Evaluation by T Munnery of SCAU revealed a single pit of possible medieval date. Evidence that the site had been severely truncated by previous development was recorded, suggesting little remaining archaeological potential.
Evaluation by K Krawiec for ASE confirmed the presence of the former castle moat, although the edge of the moat was not observed. A borehole survey confirmed that 19th century backfill made up a large proportion of the material infilling the moat, although the primary fills included an in-situ organic deposit. The lower deposits did not yield reliable material for dating, but a layer of leaf litter returned a date of 1670 cal AD to post-1950 cal AD (280-10 cal BP).
Watching brief by C Clarke of AOC revealed evidence of a robbed-out wall foundation running parallel to Bell Street. Although no dating evidence was present the location corresponds to the suggested location of the former priory buildings. A gravel path, garden features and a modern culvert were also recorded.