Evaluation by G Dawkes of ASE revealed no evidence of finds or features of archaeological interest.
Reigate & Banstead
Evaluation by T Munnery of SCAU revealed a single pit of possible medieval date. Evidence that the site had been severely truncated by previous development was recorded, suggesting little remaining archaeological potential.
Evaluation by K Krawiec for ASE confirmed the presence of the former castle moat, although the edge of the moat was not observed. A borehole survey confirmed that 19th century backfill made up a large proportion of the material infilling the moat, although the primary fills included an in-situ organic deposit. The lower deposits did not yield reliable material for dating, but a layer of leaf litter returned a date of 1670 cal AD to post-1950 cal AD (280-10 cal BP).
Watching brief by C Clarke of AOC revealed evidence of a robbed-out wall foundation running parallel to Bell Street. Although no dating evidence was present the location corresponds to the suggested location of the former priory buildings. A gravel path, garden features and a modern culvert were also recorded.
Watching brief by G Dawkes and S Stevens of ASE revealed clear evidence of substantial earthmoving in the area, probably associated with other building work at the site, but no finds or features of archaeological interest.
An archaeological evaluation by G Anelay of WSA revealed two tree-throw hollows and a scattering of medieval to modern artefacts, but no features of archaeological interest.
Evaluation by I Hogg of ASE revealed a single post-medieval pit or ditch terminal and confirmed that much of the north and centre of the site had been disturbed during the construction and subsequent demolition of the former building.
Evaluation by D Bray of TVAS. Previous work in the 1950s identified medieval structural remains related to the manor of Preston Hawe. Despite the known archaeological potential of the site there was no evidence of archaeological deposits or artefacts. It would therefore appear that following the original archaeological investigations the area was horizontally truncated and all archaeological material removed.
Evaluation by T Munnery of SCAU revealed residual Mesolithic and Neolithic flintwork, a number of probable Late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age ditches and medieval or post-medieval quarry/dene holes. The character of the ditches suggests they form part of a field system rather than a settlement enclosure.
Evaluation by A Taylor of TVAS identified a single ditch at the western end of the site dating to the Late Iron Age/Early Roman period, which could possibly be related to the first phase of the Scheduled villa complex to the west of the site (a ‘pre-villa phase’).