Observation by D W Williams and HAG of a redevelopment, located further features of archaeological interest. Two oxen were found buried in a pit probably of 18th century date or later. A medieval rectangular rubbish pit and a deep circular feature interpreted as a cess-pit of c.1400 were also found. Many finds were made, some with the assistence of metal detector users, including the first RB coin noted from Reigate. (224)
Reigate & Banstead
Rescue and salvage excavation by D W Williams for HAG was the first examination- of the archaeology of the east side of Bell Street. Three medieval features were found, all containing similar pottery suggesting a date in the second half of the 12th century. This was further confirmed by a cut halfpenny of Henry II (1158-80) found in the fill of a sub-rectangular pit, possibly a cesspit, above its base, which was formed by a group blackened stones.
Excavation by R J Poulton for SCC and McAlpine Homes South Ltd in advance of development affecting the south-west corner of the enclosure identified by B Hope-Taylor. The ditch on the south side was found to be no more than a gully and no signs of occupation were noted. A number of mostly Mesolithic flints were found, not in contemporary contexts; they included a tranchet axe. (224)
A sherd of possible BA pottery noted by D W Williams after topsoil stripping.
Fragment of moulded stone, apparently an arch voussoir, probably from Reigate Castle, recorded by D W Williams for HAG. It was found a few years ago. Other stones probably from the castle, from the Old Vicarage site, are also noted. (234)
Excavation by G N Hayman for SCC and HBMC in advance of development behind known medieval chapel site where planning permission was granted on appeal. There was extensive post-medieval pitting but some medieval features were located including a ditch parallel to Bell Street, cut by a 12th century pit and therefore 12th century or earlier. Parts of medieval stone mouldings were found. (248) Earlier, during building work within the existing structure, D W Williams for HAG recovered a possible hood mould fragment from stone rubble below the floor.
Excavation by D W Williams for SCC, London & Metropolitan PLC and Reigate & Banstead BC of sites beneath the former showrooms of Reigate Garage. On the southern site there was little evidence for medieval activity except for an area of heat-reddened brickearth and associated shell-tempered pottery. The site was possibly cultivated until the late 16th century when a building was constructed of which fragments were identified between modern disturbances. This was probably a millhouse.
Excavation by D W Williams for SCC, London & Metropolitan PLC and Reigate & Banstead BC revealed only a few medieval features to the rear of the standing buildings. (243)
Sections parallel and at right angles to the High Street, behind 22 High Street, were recorded by D W Williams for HAG. The site backs onto the castle. Medieval deposits with 13th century pottery had been sealed by almost 1.5m of yellow sand. Part of a well was also recorded. It is suggested that the sand layer represents upcast from ditch digging at the castle, and that therefore this side of the High Street was not built up before the 16th century. (241)
Excavation by R J Poulton for SCC and London & Metropolitan PLC in advance of redevelopment, of a site some 35m south of the High Street frontage, to the rear of the buildings known as the Cage and the Stable. The earliest features on the site were two 12th century parallel ditches or gullies running north-south about 5m apart; these may have been plot boundaries relating to the laying out of the new town in the late 12th century.