Reigate & Banstead

Land at Courtlands Farm, Park Road, Banstead

Historic building recording by H Samuels and S Chandler of ASE. The ammunition depot at Banstead formed one of three depots built between 1938 and 1939 to store and supply ammunition for the anti-aircraft batteries surrounding and defending London. The Banstead site supplied the South-West London sector from Dulwich to Raynes Park and included the South-East region for a short period in 1940. The site officially closed as an active storage/distribution centre in 1953. The site structures form an example of the early use of reinforced concrete for defensive military purposes.

St John the Evangelist Church, Redhill

Excavation by L Capon of AOC recorded 266 graveshafts with a total of 282 burials recovered and retained for osteological assessment. The burials can be dated to 1843--1914 when the graveyard was in use. Early cemetery practice appears to show careful planning and management with graves aligned west--east in regular north--south rows. Later burials show dense overcrowding with burials tightly packed into any available space, creating a complex sequence of intercutting graveshafts.

Land at the rear of 268–269 Fir Tree Road, Banstead

Excavation by Dr K Harrison on behalf of Surrey Police after the discovery of human remains during construction work, revealed the presence of a single burial. Sufficient skeletal material remained in situ to suggest the individual was buried in a crouched position, on its side and oriented north--south. There were no grave goods, associated finds or datable material in the grave fill but the burial position was consistent with a Bronze Age or Iron Age inhumation.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Reigate & Banstead