Excavation by J Newell of SyAS of a narrow trench across the extensive bank and ditch earthwork previously surveyed in 2013 (SyAC 99, 228), suggested that the series of abutments to the north of the bank were contemporary with or added soon after the bank was formed. The broad ditch to the south proved to be shallow. No dating evidence was recovered from the excavation or a subsequent metal detector survey, suggesting the site may have been metal detected previously.
Reigate & Banstead
Evaluation by M Fleming of WA revealed a tree-throw hollow and an east–west linear feature that contained worked flint of Mesolithic date, which was considered to be present owing to post-depositional movement. Worked flint was also present in two adjacent trenches, but was thought to be redeposited. (See Harding, this volume, 271–6)
Excavation and watching brief by W Weller of SCAU following a trial trench evaluation (SyAC 99, 228) adjacent to the Scheduled Roman villa (SM no 12849) revealed a number of flint-packed postholes, some smaller pits or postholes and an east–west ditch , all of which were of Romano-British date. The position and characteristics of a number of the postholes indicated that they were contemporary and may have formed the ground plan of a timber-framed building of unknown function. The ditch probably relates to a division between the domestic and working areas of the villa complex.
Evaluation by A Thorne of ASE identified several ditches, probably part of the medieval and post-medieval field systems recorded on previous investigations nearby (SyAC 95, 309; 92, 279). No discrete features were recorded and only a few sherds of medieval pottery were recovered.
Excavation by A Margetts of ASE, following on from contiguous work in 2012, revealed continuing evidence of Middle/Late Iron Age and Late Iron Age/Romano-British activity. Further medieval and post-medieval evidence was recorded, mainly comprising field systems. Results from the site show that prehistoric, Romano-British and medieval settlement in the area developed and extended in close proximity to arterial waterways such as the Burstow stream where fertile land, with both riverine and forest habitat resources, clearly presented an attractive proposition to ancient settlers.
Evaluation by A Forshaw for ASE revealed a shallow gully and an infilled probable boundary ditch of post-medieval date.
Evaluation by C Ellis for COT recovered a Mesolithic/Early Neolithic blade from a tree-throw hole and a residual Neolithic/Bronze Age core. A probable boundary ditch and posthole, which were undated but characteristically post-medieval, were also revealed.
Evaluation by G Potter of CA produced a few pieces of medieval pottery, reflecting general medieval activity, but no features of archaeological interest.
Evaluation and subsequent excavation by W Weller of SCAU produced residual Mesolithic and Neolithic flintwork and a potential Bronze Age ditch terminal. An intensive period of activity began in the Middle Iron Age and extended into the early 2nd century AD, with a series of boundary or enclosure ditches and pits dominating the excavated area. The ditches may have formed a rectangular enclosure or field boundaries associated with a central domestic enclosure of a previously, partially recorded farmstead.
Evaluation by L Capon and R Ives of AOC revealed burials that had no surviving above-ground grave memorials. The burials could not be dated although the main phase of cemetery use was from 1843 to 1896 with some continued use of family graves up to 1968.