Excavation by L Capon of AOC recorded 266 graveshafts with a total of 282 burials recovered and retained for osteological assessment. The burials can be dated to 1843--1914 when the graveyard was in use. Early cemetery practice appears to show careful planning and management with graves aligned west--east in regular north--south rows. Later burials show dense overcrowding with burials tightly packed into any available space, creating a complex sequence of intercutting graveshafts.
St John the Evangelist Church, Redhill