8th and 9th seasons of excavation by D G Bird for SCC and SyAS. In the 8th, work concentrated on the probably early post-medieval building previously identified. Three sides only could be located, marked by rubble and clay foundations. It overlay a ditch full of medieval pottery. A magnetic date for the earliest hearth associated with the medieval building previously identified was received from A Clark: approximately AD 1270-1310. A few sherds of Neolithic or LBA pottery were found, not in context, (206)
Excavation by A Skelton to test approximately circular earthwork feature (about 200m in diameter) recognised on aerial photographs. The bank and ditch were best visible across the neck of the spur and were sectioned there. The ditch was found to be about 2m deep and 4m wide at the top with LBA pottery in the primary fill and RB late 3rd-4th century material in the upper fill. A trench in the interior produced large amounts of burnt flint, waste flakes and more LBA pottery.
Finds made during gravel digging, probably from a former watercourse, include a Neolithic antler macehead, a LBA socketed axe with wooden handle (originally of two pieces like a wooden pickaxe), an IA sword with the bronze scabbard fittings surviving, a complete IA pot, a bronze cauldron, and other pieces of wood, antler and bone including part of a human skull.
Small scale excavation by M C O'Connell for SCC and HBMC to complete clearance of a large pit with a BA wooden structure.
Finds made in gravel digging, probably from a former watercourse, included a 10th century BC Wilburton type sword and a complete oval bronze IA shield, dated by a sample of the handle's wooden core to between 400 and 200 BC. (See this volume for a note on the shield)
Fieldwork by P M G Jones and R J Poulton for SCC and HMBC located and recorded a section through a BA occupation site revealed in gravel working. Finds included pottery, a barbed and tanged arrowhead and a human skull. A ground stone axe was previously discovered by workmen.
Fieldwork by PMG Jones located BA pottery eroding from an old quarry face.
Excavation by S Dyer for SAFG in advance of redevelopment on a site adjacent to Petters Sports Field. BA pottery and worked flint and the possible RB road line were located.
Eight prehistoric pot sherds, probably late Neolithic or BA, found in random field walking in one field by K Winser. (220) centered ref.
Geophysical survey by R J Poulton and S P Dyer followed by excavation by P M G Jones for SCC (and County Valuer and Estates Surveyor) to attempt to establish the date and degree of survival of the enclosure known from aerial photography. Results were inconclusive but the enclosure seems to be medieval. Evidence for BA occupation in the area marked out by the later enclosure was noted. Further work is planned.