Local Society

Felday Enclosure

Excavation by D .1 Field for LTRG of a further defence section. It again showed a feature like a ditch terminal; possibly the ditch is discontinuous. A sample of the initial fill was dated to the mid 1st century AID by A.1 Clark. (206)

48-54, High Street, Bagshot

Further work on site was carried out by G H Cole for Surrey Heath Group of SyAS. A further length of a ditch seen in 1983 was Located; it contained several sherds of grass or chaff-tempered pottery. Also found was evidence for a well-preserved timber post and plank building of AD 1250 to 1350 replaced by a late 14th century post-built structure (partially seen in 1984/85). A complete wooden barrel, set in puddled clay, was thought to underlie the levels dated 1250-1350, and beneath it was found a complete wooden bowl. More information was gained about the 17th century tavern (?

Old Vicarage, Church Street, Reigate

Observation by D W Williams and HAG of a redevelopment, located further features of archaeological interest. Two oxen were found buried in a pit probably of 18th century date or later. A medieval rectangular rubbish pit and a deep circular feature interpreted as a cess-pit of c.1400 were also found. Many finds were made, some with the assistence of metal detector users, including the first RB coin noted from Reigate. (224)

31 Bell Street, Reigate

Rescue and salvage excavation by D W Williams for HAG was the first examination- of the archaeology of the east side of Bell Street. Three medieval features were found, all containing similar pottery suggesting a date in the second half of the 12th century. This was further confirmed by a cut halfpenny of Henry II (1158-80) found in the fill of a sub-rectangular pit, possibly a cesspit, above its base, which was formed by a group blackened stones.

56 High Street, Bagshot

Excavation by G H Cole for SHAHT and Surrey Heath BC in advance of redevelopment. Waterlogged remains of a timber building provisionally dated to 1300-1350 were found, cut by a fence line and then by a massive post-built structure dated to the early 16th century. This was followed by the artificial raising of the land and the construction of a stone building of c1550-1640 dated by pottery, glass, etc thought to indicate a drinking house. The site was then unoccupied until the mid-late 18th century when the cottages recently demolished were constructed.

22 High Street, Reigate

Sections parallel and at right angles to the High Street, behind 22 High Street, were recorded by D W Williams for HAG. The site backs onto the castle. Medieval deposits with 13th century pottery had been sealed by almost 1.5m of yellow sand. Part of a well was also recorded. It is suggested that the sand layer represents upcast from ditch digging at the castle, and that therefore this side of the High Street was not built up before the 16th century. (241)


Subscribe to RSS - Local Society