Local Society

Convent of the Sacred Heart, Epsom

Excavation of a red brick cup-and-dome icehouse, below a mound at the north-east end of a long canal in the grounds of the convent, by the NAS [now EEHAS]. Only modern finds were recovered, but the design of the icehouse appears to be of early 18th century date. The icehouse formerly lay within The Elms estate, which was visited and described by Celia Fiennes during her travels in Surrey between 1708 and 1712. (291)

Titsey

A programme of geophysical survey and trial excavation by M Davies and the BSAG around the site of the known villa identified a second ‘twin’ villa and two other buildings - one certainly Roman, and the other probably so. The two villas were separated by a stream, and an extensive area of surfacing seems to have been laid on the wetter ground between the two villas. (315)

220 Stafford Road, Caterham

Partial excavation of an infilled well in the garden by the BSAG and CNHSS. The shaft was lined with hand made and mostly unfrogged bricks, suggesting the feature is late 18th/early 19th century in date. A cottage is first shown in this vicinity on a map of 1820. The well was infilled late in the 19th century.

44 Manor Avenue, Caterham

A watching brief by M Saaler and J Matthews of the BSAG on works for a new extension to this building, which was originally part of the stable block of Caterham Court. Flint and mortar foundations and an earlier foundation trench were revealed, as well as a pebbled surface, all presumably relating to different phases of stable building. (303)

Royal Oak PH, High Street, Caterham

A watching brief by J Davison of CNHSS on the construction of a rear extension revealed no archaeological features, but a number of large blocks of chalk were seen - presumably relating to an earlier structure of some kind. One piece of medieval pottery and several sherds of probably 18th century red ware were recovered. In addition the presence of a quantity of iron slag and burnt shale and coal suggests iron working took place on the site at some point before the pub was built c 1880. The property was known as ‘The Smith’s Shop’ in 18th and 19th century documents.

Place Farm, Bletchingley

Excavation by M Russell, for the BSAG, continued on the site of Bletchingley Place. A series of substantial greensand and brick foundations, robber trenches and deep post holes associated with the west range of the house built sometime before 1521 by Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham, was identified; the features could not be securely dated, but a late 15th century date seems likely. In the early 16th century additions and alterations were made, entirely in brick, including the blocking of a large entrance in order to build a small room with a chimney.

Land North of Water Lane, Bletchingley

Fieldwalking by the BSAG of an area where cropmarks have been identified on aerial photos. Numerous pieces of worked flint were recovered, as well as some burnt flint. Apart from a couple of pieces of Roman pottery, the bulk of the pottery recovered was medieval (late 12th/early 13th) and post-medieval. A resistivity survey was also carried out, that confirmed the presence of a number of features.

Chaldon Court, Chaldon

Excavation of a trial pit, by J Wileman of KUTAS, to test for evidence of a former wing to the Court, which is 14th century. Possible Tudor brick fragments, greensand ashlar and a clay pipe stem were recovered from below a rammed chalk floor. These sealed an earlier layer that contained fragments of tile.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Local Society