Excavation by D W Williams for Reigate and Banstead Archaeological Co-ordination Committee located a 12th/13th century cesspit with the handle of a curfew, a later cesspit with a timber base in situ and a large late medieval pit with timber and post revetment, re-lined with stone and timber in the late 16th century, purpose unknown.
Report by D W Williams of the discovery on a development site of a large late medieval coin hoard by R Mintey using a metal detector. There were 6701 coins, of which 125 were of gold including two half nobles of previously unrecorded issues. The coins mostly date to the reign of Henry VI. Two jugs were also recovered, and they have been restored and recorded. One is a Tudor green type and the other an unglazed pink vessel. A link with the rebellion of Jack Cade in 1450 was at first considered but further study indicated that the latest coins were two pennies of Henry VI issued in 1454-60.
Examination and recording by E Crossland for LDLHS of the Howard family vault. 23 coffins were found, the earliest dated (probably) 1743 and the latest 1857. (251; see also review in SyAC 81, 193)
Excavation by Mary Saaler and J Davison for BSAG and CNHSS of the former farm site revealed substantial remains of post-medieval buildings and medieval and later pottery and other finds.
Excavation by J J Chapman for SAFG in advance of redevelopment revealed traces of a 2nd/3rd century ditch.
Excavation by E Crossland for LDLHS of post-medieval well in the back garden.
Excavation by J Harte and H Waterhouse for Bourne Hall Museum and NAS [now EEHAS] in the bed of the lake which had become dry. Preliminary examination in 1990 produced 38 1st to 3rd century Roman coins from one sector. A trench indicated that dredging had removed most material above the natural Thanet Sand. Gravel-filled pockets in the sand were however found to contain animal bones and IA, RB or Saxon pottery. Various walls, mostly presumably earlier retaining walls for the lake bank, were also noted. (265). It may be suggested that the Roman coins were offerings at the original spring.
Recording by Farnham & District Museum Society of archaeological features revealed in building works and reported by K D Graham. A well-built late medieval wall of chalk blocks bonded with clay was found; it had probably acted as the retaining wall of a terrace. Later features included a brick-lined Tudor well and a rubbish pit.
Two seasons of excavation were directed by G H Cole for SHAHT. There was evidence for earlier prehistoric occupation (worked flints) and late Iron Age occupation and possibly related iron working (pottery and slag). Parts of possible buildings of the 2nd/3rd centuries were identified and there was late RB material including part of a jet finger ring with a monogrammed cross. No evidence was found for medieval occupation but the site had evidence for a post-medieval tanning industry known from documents to date c l596-1851.
Further excavation by G Cole for SHAHT. Additional features associated with the post-medieval tanning yard were recorded, as well as a number of features, including a possible cremation of Roman date. (290, 301)