Programme of work comprising a soil stripping, mapping and sampling exercise, watching brief, and trial pit excavation, by A Simmonds of OAS. The initial approach for the stripping, mapping and sampling across the entire site was modified during the course of the work to one designed to preserve deposits in situ across much of it. This followed the discovery that a significant depth of colluvial deposits overlay the archaeological horizons.
Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC of the c1700 house.
Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC. The building is the north end of the Godstone Hotel, of which it once formed part, and suggested to be of 1600-20 date, with a significant early 18th century re- facing and possibly re-roofing.
Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC of the fragmentary remains of the timber-framed building.
Community Archaeology Project, as part of Caterham Arts Festival, involving the excavation of a four test pits by members of the public under the supervision of A Guinness of SCAU.
Three further phases of excavation by P Jones and R Lambert of SCAU adjacent to areas previously investigated. The first phase undertaken in the summer of 2011 was to the immediate west of the area investigated in 2009. The range and character of the archaeological features present were closely similar to those identified in 2009. The features included three Mesolithic pits (which were 100% sampled and sieved for flintwork), an early medieval pit oddly sited out on the Gault clay, and a continuation of the late medieval/ early post-medieval roadway identified during the work in 2005.
Evaluation by S Stevens of ASE recovered a single flint flake from the topsoil of one of the trenches.
Excavation by M Williams of WA revealed evidence of a substantial walled structure possibly associated with two parallel boundary walls, and the remains of a possible fish pond, 200m north of the inner gatehouse of Bletchingley Place, the property given by Henry VIII to Anne of Cleves as part of her divorce settlement. The suggestion is that the structure may be a northern gatehouse leading from the walled gardens surrounding Bletchingley Place into the deer park to the north.
Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC of the probable mid/late 17th century building.
Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC of a high-status cross-wing (of 1425-50 date) to a medieval open hall that stood to the east.