Fairalls builders’ merchant, High Street, Godstone

Watching brief by N Shaikhley of SCAU during redevelopment of part of the builders’ merchant premises revealed that any archaeology that may once have been present would have been removed when the recently demolished structure had been constructed. Photographs in the possession of the site manager illustrated a series of caves discovered during, and then infilled as part of, an earlier construction phase, and thought to relate to a quarry located just to the north of the premises.


Archaeogeophysical survey by A Bartlett of BCC carried out to test for the presence of features at a site which has produced Roman and later finds.

40 Manor Avenue, Caterham

Evaluation by C Currie of CKCA revealed the foundations of a structure present on a 1736 map, among much truncation. Two pits found underneath the site of this structure did not contain any artefacts to allow them to be dated. A subsequent watching brief confirmed that the site had been considerably truncated. However, fragmentary foundations of other structures were revealed, and together with new documentary material, this helped to clarify the development of a farm that had existed on the site from the 18th century.

Chaldon Report 2012 and 2020

Transcription of aerial photographs by Simon Crutchley (English Heritage) led Mike Russell (2002) to suggest the presence of a prehistoric field system at land on Willey Farm, Chaldon, and that it might be associated with the nearby hillfort known as either War Coppice or Cardinal’s Cap. A visit to the area showed that some of the field boundaries appeared as above ground earthworks and it was decided that an analytical survey would be undertaken by members of the Prehistoric Group. An interim report was published in 2012 below. A report on the completed work has been published in 2020 and is available as a pdf attachment to this page.


Subscribe to RSS - Tandridge