42 and 44 High Street, Bletchingley

Appraisal by M Higgins of SCC of an urban building within a tight plot. It was brick fronted with a studwork rear elevation over a brick ground floor. The building is of two storeys with a stone cellar and attics in a staggered butt-purlin, butt-rafter roof. The exterior has a fine Flemish Bond facade with blue headers. Number 42 has cruciform windows in the original openings; 44 has been remodelled but straight joints reveal its original format. Each has an end chimney stack and both date to the early 18th century over a probably earlier cellar.

Rough Beech, Dowlands Lane, Burstow

Appraisal by M Higgins of SCC to inform Listed Building Consent proposals. Constructed in three main phases, the first phase is a 2½ bay, timber-framed, end smoke-bay house of suggested late 16th century date. A large timber-framed bay with a chimney was added to the south end in the late 17th century, possibly with an outshot on the west side. A third, 18th century phase saw a face wing with outshot added to the south-west possibly with masonry on the ground floor under a timber-framed first floor replacing the outshot of the previous phase.

Titsey Place, Titsey

A fluxgate gradiometry survey by D Hale of Archaeological Services Durham University of the route of a temporary haul road across the Grade II Listed parkland, revealed two tracks of 20th century origin but no anomalies of possible archaeological origin.

Former school, 41 Beadles Lane, Oxted

Historic building recording by L Brooks of Brooks Building Consultants of a purpose-built National School and attached Headmaster’s house, prior to their demolition, revealed a construction date of 1872, as recorded on a date stone in the front elevation. Small extensions added to the front of the school in 1912 were probably constructed to provide separate entrances for girls and boys. Original timber windows and staircases, cast-iron fireplaces, rainwater goods and airbricks, and decorative and gauged brickwork were recorded.

Friars, Pains Hill, Limpsfield

Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC of a timber-framed open-hall house of four bays. Of a standard tripartite plan of a parlour, two-bay hall and service bay, it includes an ‘upper-end’ end-jetty, long passing braces, ground floor braces and evidence of a dais spere – a short screen, normally by a door, to prevent draughts. To this a further bay was added at the ‘lower’, downhill end. The house probably dates from the second quarter of the 1400s. The added bay is probably 17th century in date.

Court Farm, 33 & 35 Church Lane, Oxted

Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC. Court Farm comprises four timber-framed bays with a substantial chimney with back-to-back hearths in the second bay. There are jowls to the four inner posts around the chimney. The roof is a staggered butt purlin, butt rafter design with added face gables. The first build has been dated through dendrochronology to 1613. A further timber-framed bay, of similar construction, and a face gable were added to the west end, probably in the early/mid-17th century.


Subscribe to RSS - Tandridge