Guildford

Guildford Park Manor

Excavation by Dr A.G. Crocker for the University of Surrey Archaeological Society and Department of Adult Education (fourth season, 1975). Various features of 13th to 17th century date were located at the north end of the moated island, and part of the manor house was also found. (129; summary report in SyAC 97)

Holmbury Hill

Apparently unrecorded earthwork investigated by G Elmore, D J Field and Pat Nicolaysen. An approximately oval enclosure some 400 yards by 200 with a bank and external ditch on three sides disturbed on the south by ‘recent’ quarrying.

M25 River Wey Crossing

Two pieces of wood recovered by contractors from the River Wey, recorded by D G Bird for SCC, on information by D Chapman. One piece was a stake with rough notches, the other a tree trunk split (? deliberately) down the middle. Both had evidently been buried for some time but no firm dating was possible.

Westbury House, Guildford

Salvage excavation early in the year by Julia Arthur for Guildford Museum located walls shown on the 1739 plan. Later excavation recovered much medieval pottery, a substantial proportion being Saxo-Norman, some medieval building material, two hearths and a probable wall, six largely complete and articulated animal skeletons and a dumbbell-shaped limekiln (probably 12th century).

196 High Street, Guildford

Reported by M J Alexander that redevelopment and refurbishment had revealed a 15th century crown post roof and evidence suggesting that the building had been designed from the first as a: shop. A 13th century pit (or pits) was partially excavated behind the building by Julia Arthur.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Guildford