Two-phase evaluation by D Britchfield and R Kennedy of WA identified severe truncation across the site. The only feature recorded was a single modern pit.
Strip, map and record excavation by A Simmonds of OA revealed a pit and gully dating from the Early Bronze Age and 94 pits that were attributed to the Middle Bronze Age/Early Iron Age. The remains were dominated by shallow pits, arranged into a northern group of fairly widely scattered, discrete pits and a more densely concentrated group of features cut into a chalk outcrop at the southern end of the site. Some of the pits had clearly defined, deliberately cut edges but others were amorphous and are likely to have been natural in origin, probably representing tree-throw holes.
Watching brief by D Bray and S Porter of TVAS revealed two ditches, two postholes and a quarried area. The pits were dated to the medieval period by sparse artefactual evidence while one of the postholes contained Iron Age pottery.
Gradiometer survey by G Shaw of WA revealed two main areas of potentially significant archaeology: an enclosure to the north, and a series of rectangular enclosures immediately east of Blackwell Farm. Further possible archaeological features interpreted as former field boundaries and some isolated pits or possibly segments of ditches were also recorded.
Watching brief by K Butler of CBAS (Chris Butler Archaeological Services). No archaeological features were noted. However, a large quantity of artefacts was recovered including pottery, ceramic building material and clay pipe. The artefacts had a date range of 1550–1900 or later and were approximately contemporary with the house. The artefacts suggested a rubbish pit or midden to the house but no evidence was found for a cut. It is possible the artefacts were redeposited during later levelling.
Evaluation by T Munnery of SCAU. Two postholes and a linear feature were revealed. It was concluded that they were unlikely to be associated with settlement or occupation activity, and were almost certainly post-medieval, perhaps even as late as the 19th century.
Evaluation by C Mason of WA. No finds or features of archaeological significance were revealed.
A sixth season of excavation in 2013 directed by D Calow for the Roman Studies Group of SyAS. Excavation established that the northern end of an aisled structure, found in 2012, did not extend beyond the limit previously established. It appears to have been a six-bay structure, c 14m long x 8m wide with four rows of seven posts. A lack of building materials suggests either that the structure had been systematically dismantled, or more likely was of a design that left no ground impact beyond its postholes.
Evaluation by P Jones of SCAU. No finds or features of archaeological significance were revealed.
Archaeological excavation by A Thorne of ASE revealed the north-west corner of a Romano-British ditched enclosure and probable outlying fields and paddocks. The enclosure contained several pits and possible postholes as well as probable evidence for tree clearance. The quantities of recovered Roman pottery suggest the presence of a single domicile or farmstead during the 1st century AD. The majority of the settlement site is considered to lie to the east, outside the site boundary.