Evaluation by S Stevens of ASE revealed a Roman gully and two further undated gullies at the northern end of the site, possibly part of a field boundary or enclosure. The presence of a humic garden soil in the north-western part of the site correlates with the area of a small enclosure depicted on late 19th and 20th century maps and suggests that this may have been used for domestic cultivation. A small assemblage of artefacts including prehistoric flintwork, medieval and post-medieval pottery and ceramic building material was recovered from the overburden.
Twelve test pits, excavated by C Hayward and members of SyAS, located throughout the village and at the site of Ockham mill revealed only 19th and 20th century material and probable garden features.
Watching brief and building recording by Dr M Shapland of ASE. Several archaeological features were recorded relating to the 19th and early 20th century development of the adjacent 16th century house.
Evaluation and watching brief by A Taylor of TVAS revealed a heavily truncated gully that produced a small quantity of tile and pottery of mid–late 13th century date.
Members of SyAS, led by R Hooker, undertook a fieldwalking exercise across a recently ploughed field on the southern slopes of St Martha’s Hill belonging to Chilworth Manor. Some 300 flint artefacts were recovered of which approximately 10% were tool forms, mostly blades, cores and scrapers. Two probable Romano-British sherds were recovered together with some late medieval and post-medieval fragments of ceramic building materials, but no significant clusters for any period were recorded.
Evaluation by M Wood of AAL (Allen Archaeology Ltd) revealed that the site had been previously landscaped to facilitate the construction of the former dwelling on the site. No finds or features of archaeological significance were revealed.
Evaluation and watching brief by A Taylor for TVAS revealed evidence of modern activity in the form of brick walls and associated cellars contemporary with the early 20th century construction of the demolished building. No find or features of archaeological significance were revealed.
Excavations by M Cook and A Johnson of the Wey & Arun Canal Trust took place to the west of the east parapet wall of Gosden aqueduct. The single trench revealed the counterfort design of the parapet wall, the clay puddling layer that formed the original canal channel lining and remains of the tow path. The shallow depth of the puddling, relative to the parapet wall, indicates that the wall was lowered after the canal went out of use. No removal of deposits associated with the canal construction appeared to have taken place although some degree of truncation is likely.
Evaluation by A Chapman of AAL (Allen Archaeology Ltd) revealed a series of walls and pits probably related to former late 19th to later 20th century terraced housing on the site. No significant archaeological features or finds were recorded.
Historic building survey by Dr E Oakley for AAL (Allen Archaeology Ltd) revealed an L-shaped block of one- and two-storey brick buildings, with four broad phases of development identified. The earliest component represented buildings established c 1868 as part of the Filmer and Mason Ironworks. By 1881 the site was known as Church Acre ironworks and a number of small extensions were added in the period 1881–96. The ironworks ceased operation in the 1920s and the site was later occupied by the army.