19th century

Providence Chapel, Charlwood

Events: 
Groups: 
Periods: 

The newly renovated Providence Chapel in Charlwood will reopen on 6th April. This unique Grade II* listed building was originally built in Horsham in the late 1700s and moved to Charlwood in the early 1800s. It has now been renovated with help from a Heritage Lottery Fund grant and other donors and will now be available as a local community building and opened on regular occasions to the general public.

Details of the opening event are on the attached pdf 

Georgian Surrey ONLINE BOOKING NOW CLOSED

Events: 

Georgian Surrey– the age of enlightenment - ONLINE BOOKING NOW CLOSED


at Surrey History Centre 130, Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey, GU21 6ND
 

9.30 Registration

9.55 Chairman’s introductory remarks

10.00 Catherine Ferguson (University of Roehampton) : Introduction

10.20 Hilary Ely (Trustee of the Cranston Library) : Cranston Library

10.50 Coffee and tea

11.20 David Brookes (Bourne Hall Museum) : Epsom as a Spa Town

Weir House, Millmead, Guildford

Oxford Archaeology (OA) has carried out a programme of investigation and recording at Weir House in Guildford, Surrey, a Grade II Listed Building owned by the National Trust and situated in a Conservation Area. The house is in good condition and currently inhabited by tenants. The work is in advance of any possible changes that may be proposed in the future so that informed conservation recommendations can be made for practical and effective management that will not compromise the buildings special features and overall historic value.

Bourne Channel Diversion, Farnham

In October 2013 Oxford Archaeology conducted an archaeological test-pit evaluation and watching brief during the excavation of a channel diversion at Farnham Bourne, Surrey (centred at NGR: SU 8472 4617). The excavation exposed modern reinforcement of the south bank of the water course together with two phases of probable garden soils overlying alluvial deposits. The existing channel’s location, above the level of the gardens to the south, suggests that the water course was channelised, probably to supply a mill further to the east.

Land at Cleveland Lodge, Westhumble, Dorking

An archaeological monitoring exercise and evaluation by Paul Riccoboni, was maintained on land at Cleveland Lodge, Westhumble Street, Westhumble, Dorking, Surrey (NGR 1670 5190) prior to the construction of a housing development with associated roads and car parking (Planning reference: MO/2006/1607/PLAMAJ). Four site visits were made by supervisory staff from ASE between the 30th May 2007 and 14th August 2007. Archaeological monitoring took place along the line of the temporary road, which traversed the site.

Forge Cottage, Thursley Road, Elstead

Watching brief by K Butler of CBAS revealed no archaeological features, although two pottery sherds dating to the Saxo-Norman period were recovered from the topsoil, suggesting possible early medieval activity on or near the site. The majority of the artefacts recovered during the watching brief were dated to the mid–late 16th century, contemporary with Forge Cottage. Other pottery recovered was of the early post-medieval period, although the largest quantity was of 19th century date.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - 19th century