Aerial photography by K D Graham revealed the existence of a sub-rectangular double ditched enclosure of approximately 1.6ha. Possible IA date suggested by supposed finds by metal detector users of IA and Roman Republican coins in this area. Fieldwaiking of field immediately to west revealed a late 1st to early 2nd century RB site. (194; see note in this volume by David Graham and R A Merson)
Excavation by Judie English for SyAS in advance of redevelopment. A section to the NW of the present house showed that the moat had been recut recently, possibly in 1863 when the house was built. A trench on the island SE of the house produced evidence for a clay layer with associated pottery of the 12th to early 13th centuries. (206)
Site watching by D G Bird for SCC, of Conoco site topsoil removal. Nothing of interest noted apart from one probably Mesolithic flint core, a few burnt flints and two pieces of iron slag.
Site watching by D G Bird for SCC and by Haslemere Group of SyAS of topsoil removal by Conoco. No finds noted but many areas of disturbance were thought to be probably iron ore pits associated with a nearby furnace.
About 200 worked flints, probably mostly Mesolithic, were donated with fieldwork notes to Haslemere Group of SyAS by .1 Cresswell. The finds were made over the period 1968-71 by Cresswell, S Penney and A Penney. (200)-
Discovery in garden soil disturbed by house building of a 3rd/4th century Alice Holt rim sherd; reported by K D Graham. (206)
Trial trenching by K D Graham for FDMS recorded unstratified RB pottery, much medieval pottery and a pre-1600 clay pit. (See report in this volume on Kingham's/Lion & Lamb sites)
Excavation by N Riall for Waverley Borough Council, MSC and Arundel' House Securities Ltd in advance of redevelopment. A trench on the floodplain terrace produced evidence consistent with use for agriculture in the 12th and 13th centuries. Another nearer the street frontage produced a sequence of features from the 12th century or earlier to the mid 20th century. The main features were a section of the town ditch and a double flued updraught tile kiln. The ditch lay about 45m south of and parallel to the main east–west street, the Borough.
Site tested by M Reid for Waverley Borough Council and MSC without result.
Trial excavation by K D Graham for FDMS in advance of redevelopment. Pottery from the 13th century onwards was found, but no features; it was probably therefore domestic rubbish. One fragment of RB pottery, possibly RB tile and several flint flakes were also found. (See report in this volume on Kingham's/Lion & Lamb sites.)