Seven sites producing worked flint found by Judie English in fieldwalking. She notes that all are on soils warmer and better drained than the surrounding clay, and that very few primary flakes were found, suggesting preliminary working at source, presumably on the Downs. At Snoxhall (TQ 060 373) some 450 Mesolithic flints were found, including six scrapers, one knife, five burins and eight microliths. 76 Mesolithic flints, including one microlith, were found at Knowle (TQ 055 382). 30 worked flints, including a microburin, were discovered in Lower Canfold Wood (TQ 082 395).
Shallow pits tentatively suggested by Richard Williams to be filled-in bell pits from which ore was extracted for nearby Vachery iron working site. (227)
Excavation by Judie English and K D Graham for WAAC in advance of the construction of the relief road indicated that the land in this area was under cultivation prior to the 19th century. Finds included medieval and later sherds and a trade token issued by Thomas Lusher of Chiddingfold in 1668. (224)
Excavation and observation by K D Graham for FDMS in advance of redevelopment. A few RB and medieval sherds were found in trial trenching, and several pits and ditches of late to post-medieval date were observed in development. One large ditch running north-west–south-east may be part of hastily-erected Civil War defences. It had apparently been rapidly backfilled, and contained pottery consistent with a mid-17th century date. (227)
Resistivity survey by FDMS, reported by K D Graham. Results seemed to indicate an 8m wide ditch running east to west to the south of the south front of the Castle and turning north round its east side (fig 2). It is probably the dry ditch referred to in medieval documents. Three possible structures were also located: one east of Fox's Tower; one possibly a turret on the curtain wall and one near the existing gatehouse. (224)
Observation of building work by N P Barker and D G Bird for SCC revealed that this building was originally a hall house probably of the 15th century. The remains of an open hearth were noted: a few tiles set on edge in yellow clay, burnt red in places and set on a rough stone base.
Excavation by Judie English and K D Graham for WAAC in advance of construction of Godalming Relief Road located only modern disturbance, an undated floor of Bargate slabs and a post-setting which may have been part of the timber-framed building known to have stood on this site. (229)
Excavation by R J Poulton for SCC (and County Engineer), in conjunction with dismantling of 16th century building for the Weald & Downland Museum, revealed shallow foundations for the timber building with levelling to accommodate the slope of the hill. Only 16th century pottery was found in the floor levels. A layer of 12th century pottery was found at the northern end of the site, apparently relating to occupation on the High Street frontage. (246)
Report by K D Graham of fieldwalking of the A3 improvement scheme, which revealed little except a concentration of RB pottery and tile near the Hurtmore Crossroads. Another find of RB material was tested and found to be redeposited, perhaps from earlier work on the A3. Previous finds of RB material by the Godalming Group of SyAS may relate to this site. (230)
Excavation by R J Poulton for SCC, Kent Developments, WAAC and Waverley BC in advance of redevelopment located evidence for the town ditch. It was 8.5m wide and 2.4m deep and the upper levels had been lost by levelling which had also removed any medieval occupation evidence from the site. Dating evidence suggested that the ditch was dug soon after AD 1200 and had already been infilled by the mid 13th century.