Saxon

410-1066

Chart Lane, Reigate

Excavation by D W Williams for HAG on open land opposite Reigate parish church, to test for Saxon settlement evidence. No features earlier than 19th century were found, and no finds earlier than the 13th except for two shell-tempered sherds. (198)

South Farm, Lightwater

Two seasons of excavation by G H Cole for Surrey Heath Group of SyAS. The first located extensive probably late IA to early RB bronze and iron slag and related deposits, a large IA ditch, a 3rd century RB timber framed structure, a post-4th century palisade and plank-formed building and various later RB ditches. Some 5.4m of the timber sole plate of the 3rd century building survived as charcoal. (208)

Saxon County School, Shepperton

Excavation by R J Poulton for SCC in advance of building work. A flint scatter and a Mesolithic tranchet axe indicated prehistoric activity in the area, and RB pottery and tile suggested a nearby site, whose whereabouts were possibly identified by a resistivity survey. The excavation produced a substantial early Saxon midden deposit, with much bone and pottery, the latter of a number of different types. There were also late Saxon ditches parallel to previous discoveries, and a scatter of medieval pottery. (216)

Courage's Brewery, Staines

Excavation by P M G Jones for SCC and Courage in advance of redevelopment examined medieval river channels and an area adjacent to the Church Street frontage, where some deeper features survived destruction by recent activity. One deep linear feature had a fill of RB building debris, and a levelling layer over it contained early to mid Saxon pottery. A ditch filled in in the 1101/12th century and several 13th-14th century features were also found. (220)

Headley Drive, Tadworth

Salvage excavation by S Nelson and S Kahn in building work recorded 42 shallow inhumation burials, aligned roughly east-west in nine rows. Grave goods were mostly typical Saxon iron knives, with two simple bronze belt fittings, a small biconical pot, a rock crystal amulet with a bronze strapwork holder and a decorative bone knife fitting. Probably late 6th to 7th centuries. (217) (SyAC 90, 117-145)

former Goblin Works, Leatherhead

Site watching by L Le Monde followed by excavation by R J Poulton for SCC and Esso Petroleum Ltd in advance of redevelopment. A Saxon cemetery was partially excavated, producing burials in two groups. The first was of 17 pagan Saxon inhumations of the 6tir--7th centuries with grave goods including two spearheads, a bone comb and a cowrie shell. The second group was a number of more careless burials with evidence suggesting a late Saxon execution site. (208)

Shepperton Ranges

Site watching by R J Poulton and P M G Jones for SCC and Tarmac Roadstone Ltd located some prehistoric features. Two sets of important finds were made during extraction, apparently coming from a buried river channel. They were five complete 3rd/4th century RB pewter plates (fig 1) and three iron swords, one without its hilt, one with a bone handle of uncertain date, and one considered to be of Petersen type L, dated AD 840-90,

North Park Farm, Bletchingley

Excavation by R J Poulton for SCC, Hepworth Minerals & Chemicals and HBMC in advance of sand quarrying involved the stripping of almost lha. A scatter of mid Saxon pottery was found, but no features. cAD 1200 a hall house with circular tile-on-edge hearth and associated timber buildings was constructed. In the early 14th century the hall was replaced by a large stone-built structure with angle buttresses. This building continued to stand but a new hall with two-storied wings (one with a cellar) was built c1400, and linked to a square kitchen.

73-75 High Street, Staines

Excavation by P M G Jones for SCC and Central Union Property Group revealed the rear of early-mid Flavian building evidence along the High Street edge. This was succeeded by a complex of buildings and refloorings at least to the late 2nd century. Buildings were apparently always of timber. There was evidence for flooding in the mid 2nd century. Other features included ovens, hearths, wells and pits. The site was covered by blackearth in the 4th century with some floor levels as yet undated. Saxon and medieval evidence

2-12 Clarence Street, Staines

Excavation and site observation by P M G Jones for SCC and McKay Securities in advance of redevelopment examined a site at the confluence of the Thames and the Colne (as it existed from the late RB to the end of the Medieval period). Prehistoric peats and clays were found, cut by a late 1st or early 2nd century RB ditch containing leather offcuts and articles; any other RB levels must have been destroyed by later flood action .

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Saxon