18th century

Painshill Park, Cobham

Excavation by Lesley Howes for the Painshill Park Trust continued, in conjunction with the scheme to restore the 18th century landscape garden. Several follies were examined in 1983/4: the Temple of Bacchus was rediscovered, the Grotto was cleared and its water circulating system re-established, and the Mausoleum's floor was recorded. In 1985 work was concentrated on the Hermitage, the Turkish Tent and the Water Wheel (original site). Many other trenches established aspects of the former landscape such as shrubberies, paths and lawns. (202)

48-54, High Street, Bagshot

Further work on site was carried out by G H Cole for Surrey Heath Group of SyAS. A further length of a ditch seen in 1983 was Located; it contained several sherds of grass or chaff-tempered pottery. Also found was evidence for a well-preserved timber post and plank building of AD 1250 to 1350 replaced by a late 14th century post-built structure (partially seen in 1984/85). A complete wooden barrel, set in puddled clay, was thought to underlie the levels dated 1250-1350, and beneath it was found a complete wooden bowl. More information was gained about the 17th century tavern (?

Old Vicarage, Church Street, Reigate

Observation by D W Williams and HAG of a redevelopment, located further features of archaeological interest. Two oxen were found buried in a pit probably of 18th century date or later. A medieval rectangular rubbish pit and a deep circular feature interpreted as a cess-pit of c.1400 were also found. Many finds were made, some with the assistence of metal detector users, including the first RB coin noted from Reigate. (224)

56 High Street, Bagshot

Excavation by G H Cole for SHAHT and Surrey Heath BC in advance of redevelopment. Waterlogged remains of a timber building provisionally dated to 1300-1350 were found, cut by a fence line and then by a massive post-built structure dated to the early 16th century. This was followed by the artificial raising of the land and the construction of a stone building of c1550-1640 dated by pottery, glass, etc thought to indicate a drinking house. The site was then unoccupied until the mid-late 18th century when the cottages recently demolished were constructed.

38–40 Bell Street, Reigate

Observation by D W Williams of the refurbishment and extension of the 18th century building; two substantial stone walls at right angles were noted. Substantial probably medieval moulded stone fragments suggest they may have been part of the priory, perhaps a guest house. An arch voussoir fragment was found which may have come from the 18th century demolition of the Tudor priory.

Priory Park, Reigate

Small-scale excavation by D W Williams (following topsoil stripping of area just south-east of the Priory for construction of a children's play area) revealed evidence for a probable path founded on a great deal of building rubble perhaps taken from the Tudor mansion during alterations. The path is provisionally dated to the 17th or 18th century. (253; see also note in SyAC 81, 171))


Subscribe to RSS - 18th century