18th century

St Andrews School, Grange Road, Leatherhead

Evaluation by A Margetts of ASE revealed two gulleys and a pit or ditch terminus of prehistoric date that may be part of an enclosure or field-system possibly related to prehistoric settlement known from the wider area. A probable post-medieval linear feature, a probable ditch of 16th to 18th century date, and made ground deposits in many of the trenches, may represent evidence of landscaping during the laying out the grounds surrounding the former school building. Further work suggested.

Lowerhouse Farm, Lower Breache Road, Ewhurst

A programme of historic building recording, evaluation, and a watching brief during the reduction of floor levels within the farmhouse, at Lowerhouse Farm by L Capon of AOC. The farmhouse is dated by a render plaque to 1525, but shows many phases of repair and extension. The earliest parts of the farmhouse are fully timber-framed, and reveal the building to have started as a Hall House, the hall lying north of a two-storey, four room block.

Westbury House, Guildford

Salvage excavation early in the year by Julia Arthur for Guildford Museum located walls shown on the 1739 plan. Later excavation recovered much medieval pottery, a substantial proportion being Saxo-Norman, some medieval building material, two hearths and a probable wall, six largely complete and articulated animal skeletons and a dumbbell-shaped limekiln (probably 12th century).

Painshill Park

Excavation of a folly, a ‘ruined Abbey’, by Sarah Peterson for Painshill Park Trust Ltd. At least three major phases recorded: (i) a rectangular brick building with underfloor heating of the early to mid-18th century; (ii) the building partly demolished and partly reused with the later 18th century ‘Abbey’ facade; (iii) the original building’s remaining walls robbed out in the mid-19th century (?).

48–54 High Street, Bagshot

Trial excavation by C H Cole for the Surrey Heath Group of SyAS produced evidence of occupation from the 13th/14th centuries to the present. Finds included a nearly complete late 16th century shoe. (184) In further excavation the earliest levels seen were a medieval trampled layer cut by a boundary and/or drainage ditch and by a 16th century building of two phases which was demolished in the mid-17th century.

Painshill Park

Work on the follies continued under the direction of Lesley Howes for the Painshill Park Trust. The site of the Turkish Tent was located and the temple of Bacchus and the Grotto were excavated.


Subscribe to RSS - 18th century