18th century

Graving Dock, Dapdune Wharf, Guildford

Evaluation by C Currie for the National Trust, in advance of works to widen the dock, indicated that the wharf has been extended on more than one occasion. A watching brief was therefore maintained on the works. A timber structure supported on large beams was identified and presumed to be used for pulling barges out of the river for repair and for lowering them back. This structure was covered by 19th century dumps of material, into which was cut a brick hearth, presumably used to boil tar etc for barge repairs. The hearth had largely been destroyed when the bank of the present dock was cut.

Angel Hotel, Guildford

Evaluation by Rob Poulton of SCAU for S K Kuntze & Associates, of the area of a new extension to the rear of the hotel, revealed two large pits, interpreted as cesspits. The pits were infilled with rubbish in the mid-13th century, making them roughly contemporaneous with the undercroft at the front of the hotel. A watching brief on the works was subsequently carried out by J Robertson of SCAU and GMVEU also kept an eye on the development. Six pits dating to between the late 12th and 14th centuries were identified. Four pits contained no dating evidence but are likely to be medieval.

56 High Street, Guildford

Evaluation by R Poulton of SCAU for W H Smith Ltd as part of redevelopment of the shop site. The work took the form of observation of clearance and groundworks, with recording of the archaeology uncovered. SCAU were assisted by the GMVEU. Much of the site had been disturbed by modern development and the High Street frontage was found to have essentially been removed by modern basementing. Elsewhere no occupation levels earlier than the post-medieval period survived; the only pre-19th century wall foundations recorded probably relate to the House of Correction, built soon after 1767.

Convent of the Sacred Heart, Epsom

Excavation of a red brick cup-and-dome icehouse, below a mound at the north-east end of a long canal in the grounds of the convent, by the NAS [now EEHAS]. Only modern finds were recovered, but the design of the icehouse appears to be of early 18th century date. The icehouse formerly lay within The Elms estate, which was visited and described by Celia Fiennes during her travels in Surrey between 1708 and 1712. (291)

Lees Farm, Pyrford

Evaluation by P Jones of SCAU, for American Golf (UK) Ltd, in advance of the construction of a golfcourse. The site of Burchet Farm was tested but no material earlier than the 18th century was recovered. A considerable depth of peat was identified in one area, presumably relating to a former channel of the Wey. No other features or finds of archaeological interest were recorded. (314)

6-7 Castle Street, Farnham

A watching brief was maintained by A & K D Graham of SyAS on the refurbishment of these buildings and a pair of timber framed barns (formerly a malthouse and kiln) to their rear and trial excavation was carried out in the garden. The main buildings were rebuilt c.1958 and the only evidence for an earlier phase was part of the north wall, which incorporated a probably Tudor fireplace. No evidence for occupation earlier than the late 18th/early 19th century was seen in trial pits or builders’ trenches.

220 Stafford Road, Caterham

Partial excavation of an infilled well in the garden by the BSAG and CNHSS. The shaft was lined with hand made and mostly unfrogged bricks, suggesting the feature is late 18th/early 19th century in date. A cottage is first shown in this vicinity on a map of 1820. The well was infilled late in the 19th century.

42 London Road, Bagshot

Excavation by SHAHT continued. Further evidence for the 17th-19th century tannery was recorded, below which flood deposits sealed levels of Romano-British date. Pottery recovered indicates occupation from the mid/late 1st century through to the late 3rd. Further flood deposits below these levels sealed ditches associated with concentrations of burnt and struck flint and pottery, which appears to be early Neolithic in date. (309)


Subscribe to RSS - 18th century