Evaluation by A Haslam of PCA following demolition of the former aerospace works revealed archaeological features in the form of parallel ditches and several small pits. The fills of all the features were largely sterile, with only one pit producing pottery and pantile fragments from the late 18th to early 19th centuries. The lack of earlier, residual, material suggests that none of the features is likely to pre-date the late post-medieval period.
A trial trench evaluation by K Bower of PCA revealed a number of probable planting holes and a spread of material, all of post-medieval date but no finds or features of archaeological interest.
Historic building recording by K Bower, P Cavanaugh and C Matthews of PCA revealed that nos 90-102 High Street were early 19th century in appearance and are shown on the 1841 tithe map. All had a ground, first and attic storey. Nos 104 and 106 are shown on the 1896 OS map and were probably constructed between 1864 and 1896, although no 106 was early 20th century in appearance. Both properties had a ground and first floor only.
Evaluation by K Marshall of PCA revealed two linear features, one of which contained a single degraded sherd of pottery dating to the later prehistoric period.
Watching brief of geotechnical trial pits by P Alexander of PCA revealed natural deposits comprising gravel, brickearth and alluvium, suggesting that any archaeological horizons that may be present remain undisturbed.
Evaluation and archaeological monitoring by K Bower and W Perkins of PCA on an extension to a retail store revealed late medieval or early post-medieval features in the form of pits, a gully and possible occupation layers, one of which was formed of compacted chalk and sealed the gully. Subsequent monitoring of the groundworks revealed a short section of a poorly built 19th or 20th century wall, and post-medieval domestic refuse pits, one of which cut two substantial, but similarly dated, postholes.
Evaluation by K Bower of PCA revealed no archaeological finds or features.
Evaluation by W Spencer of PCA revealed several narrow palaeochannels containing burnt flint and prehistoric struck flint, suggesting prehistoric activity in and around a former braided river system. In the south and west of the site, close to the location of the former Ember Court, several planting beds of probable horticultural origin were uncovered.
Evaluation by P Jorgensen of PCA revealed an intact stratigraphic sequence with residual struck flint and medieval and later pottery from the upper strata but no finds or features of archaeological interest.
Historic building recording and evaluation by G Thompson and S Watson of PCA. The original Aldebrook House was designed in an 'Old English' fusion of Surrey and Wealden vernacular style by celebrated architect Richard Norman Shaw for the Liberal politician Pandeli Ralli in the early 1880s. Following alterations in the mid-1930s, the house was used as a convalescence hospital for servicemen during the Second World War, and subsequently demolished in the late 1950s and replaced by a smaller property of uninspired contemporary design.