Medieval Pottery and the Transition to Post-medieval Production

Experts, including Steve Nelson, Phil Jones, Peter Tipton, Jacqui Pearce, David Barker, Clive Orton and Graham Dawson, will gather to lead the conference through a range of aspects of late medieval pottery production. The detailed programme and application form is attached. Please note that the number of places is limited by the room and prior application for tickets, either using the attached flier or via Castle Arch, is advised.

England:Before and after the Norman Conquest - A Study Day

The Medieval Studies Forum has organised a study day to take place at Surrey History Centre. Three leading scholars, Dr Stuart Brookes (UCL), Nathalie Cohen (Institute of Archaeology) and Dr Chris Lewis (Kings College & Institute of Historical Research) will share some of their latest research with us.They will be joined by two members of the Forum who will also share their research. Finally we will take this opportunity to review the Saxon elements of the Surrey Research Framework released in 2006.
Please see the attached programme and application form for further details

The Medieval Mind - A Study Day

The Medieval Studies Forum has organised a study day to be held at East Horsley. Speakers include Professor John Henderson on 'Understanding Plague in Late Medieval Italy' and Dr Sophie Page on 'Magic and Religion in the Late Middle Ages'. In addition a number of members of the Forum will be giving presentations. Please see the attached programme and application form for details.

SERIAC 2012 South East Regional Industrial Archaeology Conference

SERIAC 2012, the annual South East Regional Industrial Archaeology Conference,
is organised this year by the Berkshire Industrial Archaeology Group (BIAG) .
The conference is followed by a choice of local visits.
(SIHG is a founder member SERIAC.)
For further details and an application form click here.

Members Day - Medieval Studies Forum

The next meeting of the Medieval Studies Forum will take place on Saturday 3rd December at the Surrey History Centre, Woking and will be a "Members Day" for presentations by members on current research and interests.
Richard Neville has agreed to speak on the Norfolk Churches Graffiti Project and how this might be extended to Surrey; Mary Alexander will speak about medieval Christmas festivities at the Royal Palace of Guildford. Rob Briggs. Brian Creese  and Peter Balmer will also be sharing some of their current research.

Surrey Woodlands

The Local History committee's spring meeting will have the theme of Surrey Woodlands.  Rob Davies from Surrey Wildlife Trust will speak about ancient woodland and how tithe maps and other historical sources have been an invaluable resource for updating the Surrey ancient woodland inventory.  He will be followed by Chris Matcham , also from Surrey Wildlife Trust, who will give a talk about traditional woodcrafts.  After tea we will have a talk on Conservation and Management of Historic Woodland by Sean O'Kelly, a ranger from Ashtead Common.

Villages Study Group Meeting


Villages Study Group

“Mining Maps & Digging for Evidence”

Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, GU21 6ND

Saturday 1st October 2011

10.00am Registration

10.30am Welcome & Introduction by David Taylor

10.35am ‘Mining Maps and Documents for Evidence’: Sally Jenkinson of Surrey History Centre and David Young of Surrey Archaeological Society will talk about the Surrey Tithe Records Project and how the output can be searched.


Subscribe to RSS - Conference