Evaluation by D Britchfield of WA identified evidence for prehistoric activity on or in the vicinity of the site in the form of residual burnt flint and a flint blade of Mesolithic or early Neolithic date. A small quantity of medieval pottery was recovered from a tree-throw hollow but a small pit contained no datable material. Features such as a grubbed-out hedgerow and an infilled ditch indicated that the landscape had been altered in the recent past.
Watching brief by M Saywood of SCAU on groundworks associated with the repair and renovation of the Muslim Burial Ground revealed no finds or features of archaeological significance.
The seventh season of community excavations, and the third and final year of a Heritage Lottery funded project called ‘Woking Palace and its Park’, at the Scheduled moated site by The Friends of Woking Palace, SyAS and SCAU, under the direction of R Poulton of SCAU.
Geoarchaeological survey by E Stafford of OA to inform the proposed Sheerwater Regeneration scheme. Twenty hand-augered samples across the northern part of the site provided baseline data on the nature of sedimentary sequences and recorded a shallow topsoil and a humic silty sandy subsoil over Bagshot Bed deposits. Charcoal fragments from the base of the sequence were radiocarbon dated to the Middle Bronze Age (1500–1320 cal BC) and may be indicative of human activity in the vicinity during this period.
TQ 019 569 The White Hart inn, 150 High Street, Old Woking
Watching brief by H Archer of CA during trenching and other groundworks revealed a series of alluvial deposits ranging from fairly uniform silty sand at the upper levels to lower deposits of fine clayey silt with some organic material continuing below the level of excavation. Residual finds recovered from the topsoil were, with the exception of six prehistoric flints, almost entirely post-medieval in date.
Test pitting by C Hayward of SyAS, produced a small quantity of pottery of Late Bronze Age, Middle Iron Age and late Roman date. (458)
A fifth and sixth season of a community excavation by the Friends of Woking Palace, SyAS and R Poulton of SCAU. In 2013, a series of early hearths and an oven were recorded within the square medieval kitchen to the west of the extant buildings (tennis play). Archaeomagnetic dating suggests the kitchen belongs to the earliest phase of occupation and was taken out of use in the late 14th to mid-15th century, at which time a substantial new privy kitchen was built that connected to the Privy Lodgings to the south.
Photographic record by C Lacey and P Wardle of The Historic Environment Consultancy and evaluation by P Jorgensen of PCA that confirmed the presence of an undisturbed medieval soil horizon across the site, as revealed in the 2011 SyAS test-pitting (SyAS 98, 257). In the central part of the site this was sealed by a layer of subsoil that produced 17th -18th century material. No features of medieval date were uncovered, but large quantities of later medieval pottery and peg tile fragments suggest a building in the vicinity.
Excavation by R Savage of SyAS on an area of collapsed ground revealed only modern made-ground, with indications of repeated episodes of infilling. A test pit excavated to the north revealed recent levelling. Owing to the depth of deposits, the natural sand/gravel was not reached in either excavation.