Mole Valley

South Holmwood Brickworks, Newdigate Road, Newdigate

Soil stripping, mapping and sample exercise by J Wright of COT revealed three features, all of which contained charcoal. Two contained oak and the third contained alder/hazel fragments, burnt at a high temperature and exhibiting evidence of probable in-situ heating/burning, and probably represent the remains of burnt tree stumps associated with woodland clearance. Radiocarbon dating of the alder/hazel suggests such clearance occurred in the Late Bronze Age or Early Iron Age.

58–60 West Street, Dorking

Evaluation by S Wallis of TVAS at the rear of a property sometimes known as the William Mullins (one of the Pilgrim Fathers) house. The evaluation revealed a number of pits relating to domestic occupation of the site from the mid-12th century through to the 19th century. Some further work is proposed during the excavation of the service trenches, but a redesign of the proposed development to incorporate piling allows for the majority of deposits present to be preserved in situ.

Anstiebury Camp, Coldharbour

Archaeology South-East (ASE) was commissioned by Sutton and East Surrey Water to undertake a programme of archaeological monitoring by Kathryn Grant, during the widening of an existing gateway to a covered reservoir at Anstiebury Camp, Coldharbour, Surrey (NGR centred 515336 144042). The watching brief monitoring was carried out in one site visit on 24th February 2012. Natural sandy geology was encountered 300mm below ground level and was overlain by subsoil and topsoil. No archaeological finds were recovered during the watching brief.

Land at Cleveland Lodge, Westhumble, Dorking

An archaeological monitoring exercise and evaluation by Paul Riccoboni, was maintained on land at Cleveland Lodge, Westhumble Street, Westhumble, Dorking, Surrey (NGR 1670 5190) prior to the construction of a housing development with associated roads and car parking (Planning reference: MO/2006/1607/PLAMAJ). Four site visits were made by supervisory staff from ASE between the 30th May 2007 and 14th August 2007. Archaeological monitoring took place along the line of the temporary road, which traversed the site.


Subscribe to RSS - Mole Valley