Historic landscape survey by C Currie of these estates, for the National Trust. Early references mention a number of ‘hatches’ or gates, where tracks left the farmland to enter the common. These ‘hatches’ are likely to be Saxon, if not earlier, and adjoining them are equally ancient farm sites, all but one of which still survive. The Polesden family and estate are first mentioned in documents of the late 12th century. The suffix ‘Lacey’ is first mentioned in 1562, but it did not become commonly used until the 18th or even 19th centuries; previously the estate was known as High Polesden. In 1630 the first country house was built on the estate and the surrounding landscape was increasingly gentrified from then on.