Excavation by L Spencer of SyAS. Following the observations of archaeological deposits in construction trenches, a series of at least three tile-on-edge hearths were revealed. The tiles of the main hearth were laid in a north–south orientation and were bounded to the east by a single course of bricks, to the north by a line of retaining tiles and had clearly defined southern and western edges, but with no retaining structures. Further evidence of burning below the upper main hearth, two insubstantial walls and floor levels comprising packed chalk and clay were also revealed. A more substantial north–south aligned wall to the immediate south of the hearth may have been a continuation or earlier phase of the hearth boundary or possibly structural in origin. A charcoal sample recovered from the upper main hearth gave a radiocarbon date of AD 1485–1650.