Watching brief by G Rapson of MOLA during underground cabling on land south of Polesden Lacey House, between Yew Tree Farm, Lonesome Cottage and Prospect Lodge. The cable was laid mainly by mole-plough, resulting in minimal excavation, and no archaeological finds or features were revealed.
Museum of London Archaeology
Watching brief by G Rapson of MOLA during underground cabling works and associated works in the south-east corner of the common. The majority of the cable was laid using a combination of mole-plough and directional drilling, resulting in very little open excavation. No finds or features of archaeological interest were revealed.
Watching brief by G Rapson of MOLA during underground cabling works and associated works between Coast Hill Farm and Garden Cottage. The cable was laid mainly by mole-plough, resulting in minimal excavation. No archaeological finds or features were revealed, but colluvial deposits with the potential to contain redeposited material were observed in the field edge on lower hill slopes above the Tillingbourne stream.
Watching brief by G Rapson of MOLA during underground cabling works between Coombe Farm, Park Farm and Coast Hill Road, much of which was laid using a mole-plough, providing limited excavation opportunities. Open-cut trenches close to Vale House, the old rectory for St John’s church, revealed a section of a domestic rubbish pit containing a small amount of ceramic domestic debris and a large number of fragmented wine bottles, the majority of which date from the late 18th century.
Watching brief by G Rapson of MOLA during underground cabling works. The majority of the route was located on the Greensand ridge where cable was laid by mole-plough allowing limited opportunities for investigation, although worked flint dating to the Mesolithic and Neolithic periods was observed in ploughed fields. Two undated drainage features 5m apart were revealed during open-cut excavation carried out along the eastern side of Hammer Meadow, a field containing channels and earthworks relating to post-medieval water management.
Building recording by V Boesso of MOLA prior to the reconstruction of a listed wall. The structure was noted to have been extensively rebuilt in the 19th century, but the oldest elements appeared contemporary with the nearby Guildford House, which dates to 1660. A subsequent watching brief by S Hoad of MOLA, carried out during the dismantling of the wall, revealed a well situated partially beneath the foundations that obviously pre-dated its construction.
Watching brief by G Rapson of MOLA during underground cabling works. An area of Bronze Age activity in the form of a layer containing pottery and worked flints was revealed, as well as four undated field ditches and an apparent flint structure – also undated. A limited programme of fieldwork carried out concurrently nearby provided further evidence for prehistoric activity, as well as occasional Roman pottery.
Evaluation and watching brief by S Hoad of MoLAS on land within the manorial estate of Rhodri ap Gruffudd, brother of Llywelyn ap Gruffudd the Prince of Wales until his death in 1282, and his descendants during the 14th century. Two undated postholes were revealed.
Evaluation by A Cetera of MoLAS, as part of an ongoing programme of site investigations undertaken prior to and during redevelopment. Only a single trench was investigated in this instance with no finds or features of archaeological significance being revealed.
Evaluation by H Knight of MoLAS revealed no finds or features of archaeological interest.